What is your opinion on the existence of ghosts?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    i don't believe in their existence ! do you ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if you do , can you prove it ? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Something for superstitious people to latch onto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fardm76)
    i don't believe in their existence ! do you ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if you do , can you prove it ? :curious:
    I believe in ghosts. I have seen them, heard them and felt them.
    I've seen things moving on their own.
    Last night, I was in my room, and there were strange mutterings coming from the bathroom. Looked in there: nothing.
    I've also been punched in the back, bitten and scratched by ghosts.
    What did I do to offend them?

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that they do not exist.

But catch me at 1am after watching Paranormal Activity 2 and a squeaky door will convince me otherwise.*

ReputationRep:
    ghosts don't exist and I'll never believe otherwise unless something can provide valid evidence for it :3

ReputationRep:
    as a Christian i believe in the Holy Ghost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    My opinion is that they do not exist.

But catch me at 1am after watching Paranormal Activity 2 and a squeaky door will convince me otherwise.*
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I once heard that in the past, people started seeing strange fumes rise from rotting corpses in graves. From then on, people believed these were 'ghosts'/'spirits'.

Being an epistemological dualist, I understand that the mind and spirit function completely differently from the material human body and therefore I keep my options open as to if the spirit persists beyond life.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in ghosts the same way I believe in this guy.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in ghosts lmao, only because everything scares me and any unexplainable movement, like a book dropping or creaks, make me wonder how the hell that happened

ReputationRep:
    I once had a philosophy class and there was a girl who didn't believe in god...yet she believed in ghosts, anstrology and karma...it made me cringe - the extent of double-think in her mind was really serious

no I don't believe in ghosts - and the idea of ghosts is physically impossible - it asks for matter to have contradictory properties. for example - take a ghost like casper the friendly ghost - he can float through walls. a wall is made of solid matter. a ghost is made of *something*, or else it doesn't exist as anything other than a hologram. so hence, it *must* be matter too. even if merely gaseous. if it was a gaseous being, it *still* wouldn't be able to get its matter across a solid wall, because a wall is a blockade of matter unless the wall itself is to be broken down. yeah, I'm nerding out quite a bit here - I'm just incredibly bored of coursework. this is the same kind of explanation for how jesus couldn't walk on water - his weight and speed upon the (regular, not frozen) water would make it mathematically impossible for the water to sustain his weight when talking about forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    the idea of ghosts is physically impossible - it asks for matter to have contradictory properties. for example - take a ghost like casper the friendly ghost - he can float through walls. a wall is made of solid matter. a ghost is made of *something*, or else it doesn't exist as anything other than a hologram. so hence, it *must* be matter too. even if merely gaseous. if it was a gaseous being, it *still* wouldn't be able to get its matter across a solid wall, because a wall is a blockade of matter unless the wall itself is to be broken down. yeah, I'm nerding out quite a bit here - I'm just incredibly bored of coursework. this is the same kind of explanation for how jesus couldn't walk on water - his weight and speed upon the (regular, not frozen) water would make it mathematically impossible for the water to sustain his weight when talking about forces.
    Don't worry, what you're saying is actually quite trite.*

ReputationRep:
    I agree, they don't exist, brah.

ReputationRep:
    Truthfully, I don't believe in them. I'm not religious so I don't believe in an afterlife and I've experienced hallucinations first hand so can. Imagine a lot of ghost sightings could be nothing more than hallucinations. I don't think ghosts are the most silly thing to believe in. For me though, ghosts are great fiction and nothing more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As Muslims we believe that there is another creation created by God called Jinns. they are like us but we cant see them and they can fly and stuff and they live here on Earth with us too. They can eah possess people and be used for black magic so yeah i believe in them types of ghosts.

ReputationRep:
    No. If you're hearing bumps, ghostly moaning and whispers in the night, it's probably because your parents are having a late night lay on the kitchen counter.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ghost.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  28.3 KB

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.