Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teaching in Japan [Tokyo?] ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could help!

I graduated with a 1st class degree in German Studies from Warwick a few years ago. Since then i’ve not been in the best place mental-health wise (I was in hospital for around 9 months), but i’m physically and mentally in a better place now. In the meantime i’ve acquired a TEFL qualification and i’ve recently moved to Germany to begin teaching freelance whilst I find my feet.

Anyway…it’s always been a dream of mine to visit Japan. I have been fascinated by Japanese culture since I was little and have begun learning basic Japanese (i’ve still got a long long way to go!) This past year i’ve been toying with the idea of applying for a program in which I could teach English in Japan for around a year. I know of the JET scheme and others, but realistically, I would prefer to work and live in Tokyo (I understand that through these programs, not many people are placed in Tokyo).

I was just wondering if anyone thought I would stand a chance of getting onto any schemes or had any recommendations or ideas of what I could do? I know rent etc. is more expensive in big cities such as Tokyo, but I would love more than anything to be placed there.

Could anyone share any experiences with me or perhaps give me an idea of what program would be suited to me? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph3mai)
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could help!

I graduated with a 1st class degree in German Studies from Warwick a few years ago. Since then i’ve not been in the best place mental-health wise (I was in hospital for around 9 months), but i’m physically and mentally in a better place now. In the meantime i’ve acquired a TEFL qualification and i’ve recently moved to Germany to begin teaching freelance whilst I find my feet.

Anyway…it’s always been a dream of mine to visit Japan. I have been fascinated by Japanese culture since I was little and have begun learning basic Japanese (i’ve still got a long long way to go!) This past year i’ve been toying with the idea of applying for a program in which I could teach English in Japan for around a year. I know of the JET scheme and others, but realistically, I would prefer to work and live in Tokyo (I understand that through these programs, not many people are placed in Tokyo).

I was just wondering if anyone thought I would stand a chance of getting onto any schemes or had any recommendations or ideas of what I could do? I know rent etc. is more expensive in big cities such as Tokyo, but I would love more than anything to be placed there.

Could anyone share any experiences with me or perhaps give me an idea of what program would be suited to me? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    I really wish I could help you, but I just had to reply and say that I completely understand what you're talking about. I'm doing my A-levels and I just can't get the thought of living and studying in japan out of my head. I've been fascinated with the country ever since I got a book on it when I was 5.

I really think that any of the big cities would be good for you, Kyoto, Tokyo, osaka even Yokohama! Tbh, if you're looking for a place to improve your mental health condition, I really would say that you should try looking at places other than Tokyo. Although Tokyo is a wonderful city and tourist destination, if you're looking for peace and quiet and a real Japanese experience, I think Tokyo would be a bit too fast-paced and rushed.

I really want to do uni in Japan, and I've reached this point where I'll be unhappy anywhere else. I love that country, the people, the culture. Such a beauty.

ReputationRep:
    I feel you. I want to do the same and the placement locations of the JET scheme puts me off. Especially since I travelled round Japan this summer and just loved Tokyo so much.*

I'll be watching this thread! I haven't found anything myself...*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.