Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is it work spending over £80 for a calculator?!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether to buy the Casio fx9680GII (over £80) or the Casio fx 9750GII which is around £60.. Is the Casio fx 9680GII significantly better than the other one?? I'm taking maths and further maths for alevel btw

ReputationRep:
    lol i still have the one i nicked from my GCSE maths exam :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I have the first and nah you won't need it. You can play Pokemon on it though... and Pacman. Just saying. Also check if your college even allows it to be used,

ReputationRep:
    I just got on from tesco for £5. Everyone had the same one as me, including the teacher, so it made the stats module much easier since we all knew how to navigate the menus.

ReputationRep:
    It was that huge Texas TI 84 Silver edition, I emphasised how thick and chunky it is and how it can do so many amazing things :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_6222.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  142.9 KB
    £10

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need a graphing calculator in college. Just get the least expensive Casio with the ability to solve quadratic equations. I still use mine in uni now, but I do have a HP 50G for the heavy stuff. Even if you did have one, they probably wouldn't let you in an exam hall with one, I can't bring mine into an exam so I stick with my casio.

I second Ishax

ReputationRep:
    There's no need for anything more than a cheap scientific calculator. The Casio FX991ES+ is great.

ReputationRep:
    get this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-FX-...words=casio+fx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah agreed. Great calculator.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, it is more worth getting the cheaper ones.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need to spend £80+ on a calculator, especially in GCSE/A Levels.

Get a Casio FX-85 GT Plus. I've used one for over 3 years and it has done everything I needed it for, including university studies.

Also, for GCSE/A Level, the more basic calculators are recommended, because graphing calculators, or calculators that do integration/differentiation, are often banned as having an unfair advantage.

ReputationRep:
    i think you can easily use the same one you used for GCSE Maths

ReputationRep:
    That calculator better have built in wifi and the answers to your exam in code language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagnetoWasRight)
    It was that huge Texas TI 84 Silver edition, I emphasised how thick and chunky it is and how it can do so many amazing things :sexface:
    Big man ting with the silver edition, I just had the loser black one :cry:

ReputationRep:
    buy one for $10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Big man ting with the silver edition, I just had the loser black one :cry:
    I bought the black one, then I realised the silver one was real and I thought to myself, I don't want people to think I'm a pleb, better switch things up.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not! Get one for about £10 with dual power and you'll never need anything else. I'm doing a PhD (not in maths) and mine cost £15 on Amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    A Level, the more basic calculators are recommended, because graphing calculators, or calculators that do integration/differentiation, are often banned as having an unfair advantage.
    Funnily enough, OCR allowed graphic calculators in Maths and FM this year when I sat my A-levels. I think that, having been told to get a £100 calculator for GCSE, it served me quite nicely, but it all comes down to whether OP feels that the small benefits a graphics calculator can give you (like allowing you to check points of intersection/roots of trig functions in C2/C3) is worth the extra moneyz.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Funnily enough, OCR allowed graphic calculators in Maths and FM this year when I sat my A-levels. I think that, having been told to get a £100 calculator for GCSE, it served me quite nicely, but it all comes down to whether OP feels that the small benefits a graphics calculator can give you (like allowing you to check points of intersection/roots of trig functions in C2/C3) is worth the extra moneyz.
    I did Edexcel for Maths in GCSE and A Level so the rules for calculator use may have been different. I'm sure that graphing calculators were banned in Edexcel.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.