Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you do when you feel there's no more support the NHS can offer? Watch

Announcements

I feel at a dead end.*

I have depression and anxiety. I've tried three different SSRIs. I have had (and am currently having) counselling and CBT. I am getting worse and worse and I don't know how to cope.*

I went back to my GP today with my dad. My parents are aware of my situation and are also scared and feel helpless. She didn't really do much. I've had CBT three times over the past six years and it's never worked. Counselling gives me a release but it's short term.

I know a lot of people on here have successfully treated their mental illness. Any advice? I don't know what to do now. I worry that this is it and I'm never going to get better. That scares the hell out of me. *
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel at a dead end.*

I have depression and anxiety. I've tried three different SSRIs. I have had (and am currently having) counselling and CBT. I am getting worse and worse and I don't know how to cope.*

I went back to my GP today with my dad. My parents are aware of my situation and are also scared and feel helpless. She didn't really do much. I've had CBT three times over the past six years and it's never worked. Counselling gives me a release but it's short term.

I know a lot of people on here have successfully treated their mental illness. Any advice? I don't know what to do now. I worry that this is it and I'm never going to get better. That scares the hell out of me. *
    You might find that residential care helps. It could give you a safe environment free from the distractions of the outside world to deal with it and hopefully make some progress.

I've never been residential but did find that therapy never really had an impact on me until I started day sessions. I think for me it was just so easy to slip back in between the sessions that we just kept going over the same things each time.

Have you seen a psyciatrist yet? If not I would suggest you ask for a referal. They could be better at working out how to help with somewhat more complex cases like yours where things you have tried so far haven't helped.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    You might find that residential care helps. It could give you a safe environment free from the distractions of the outside world to deal with it and hopefully make some progress.

I've never been residential but did find that therapy never really had an impact on me until I started day sessions. I think for me it was just so easy to slip back in between the sessions that we just kept going over the same things each time.

Have you seen a psyciatrist yet? If not I would suggest you ask for a referal. They could be better at working out how to help with somewhat more complex cases like yours where things you have tried so far haven't helped.
    This.

Also, OP, medication is truly trial and error. I'm on my 7th attempt in a year and a half. CBT might also not be the right type of therapy for you.

Thanks for your responses.

(Original post by Kindred)

How does one get residential care? I am willing to try anything. It's never been suggested.

I have not seen a psychiatrist despite trying hard for a referral. We've asked a few times and she just said they don't refer for "standard depression". My dad is eager for me to see one because his dad has had severe mental health issues all his life and it was only through seeing a psychiatrist that he got on medication that actually made it bearable. My dad has considered paying for private as he is worried but it seems so extreme.

(Original post by Airmed)
    This.

Also, OP, medication is truly trial and error. I'm on my 7th attempt in a year and a half. CBT might also not be the right type of therapy for you.
    Yeah I know medication is so personal too. Sorry to hear you're on your 7th attempt. That must feel awful as I feel so hopeless after trying three. Not a single attempt has made any difference for you?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your responses.

How does one get residential care? I am willing to try anything. It's never been suggested.

I have not seen a psychiatrist despite trying hard for a referral. We've asked a few times and she just said they don't refer for "standard depression". My dad is eager for me to see one because his dad has had severe mental health issues all his life and it was only through seeing a psychiatrist that he got on medication that actually made it bearable. My dad has considered paying for private as he is worried but it seems so extreme.
    I think it would be by referal from you GP or a psychiatrist but i'm honistly not too sure. Obviously if you were in a really bad state you could turn up at A&E and be sectioned- but I don't get the impression that's what you're looking at.

It's worth pushing everything you can before paying for private and i'd even suggest trying a different doctor, but it is deffinately an option and it's nice that your dad is supportive.

I would try to get a referal to a psych again and really push how desperate you are and how you've had no success so far. If there are any risks like you having thoughts of harming yourself or anything else be sure to mention them. Sometimes people can be embarassed to say or worried about the consequenses but it is best to be completely honest.
    If your doctor won't do it you can try another one. If there are multiple surgeries in your area you could even try transfering.

If you are not getting anywhere though and your dad is willing to pay for private, go see a psych privately and tell them about your situation as well. They will know the system and how to help you. If they advise it you could find it helps you get treatment on the nhs and if they still won't play ball you can go private for treatment too. If you do, I would suggest you look into day therapy and residential options. I found it very helpful and think it got me sorted a lot sooner than anything else would have.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk in a bit more detail or know anything else. I'll be on for a while
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Yeah I know medication is so personal too. Sorry to hear you're on your 7th attempt. That must feel awful as I feel so hopeless after trying three. Not a single attempt has made any difference for you?
    They don't seem to make much difference tbh. I have a low tolerance for side effects, so I am guaranteed to always get them.

Tbh, from what I have read, I really think you should be referred to a psychiatrist. Especially since your dad has suffered sadly too

ReputationRep:
    I went from having a diagnosis of ADHD at 9 years old, to having SSRIs thrown at me at 19, to then two months on being given the diagnosis of bipolar and borderline personality disorder. 6 overdoses, and 3 admissions later and I'm more stable than ever! 5 months ago I was plotting to end my life, and now I'm planning to keep going! So stay strong.

As for advice, get a referral to adult mental health, and see a psychiatrist. They're much better (some of them) at figuring out mental health. Also start a daily mood diary to show to your GP and other professionals, it makes the diagnosis/treatment a lot quicker!

Hang on in there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you're struggling so much.
    I would keep going with medication. I have been on multiple antidepressants, antipsychotics and sedatives, and I'm still trying to find the right combination for me. It's a case of trying different doses and seeing what works for you.
    As with therapy, if CBT isn't working for you then see if there are any charities that offer something different. I know that Mind have wellbeing services and they can offer recovery work, interpersonal therapy etc.
    If you have the flexibility you could try Private services such as the Priory group and Huntercombe, however I understand that most people can't afford to finance it (I know I couldn't!)
    I really hope you feel better soon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.