Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a serious question that I truly hope someone could help me with.

I am a 3rd year student studying at a less prestigious university in Ontario, Canada named Wilfrid Laurier University. Although the school is less prestigious, I do have a 3.91/4.0 G.P.A, the equivalent to a First Class Honours Degree. My dream is to become a City of London Lawyer working in a large commercial firm. I want to seek the advice of TSR on what my next steps are:

Vacation Scheme: As I am in the penultimate year of my studies, I was thinking of applying to vacation schemes at large City firms from Wilfrid Laurier University. I am a duel national (I hold British citizenship) so I have no issue working in the United Kingdom. From there, I would hope that I could receive a Trainee Solicitor Contract, where they can then pay for my GDL and LPC expenses. This, of course, is the dream scenario and I wanted to know how likely it would be to receive an offer like this based off my credentials?

BA Senior Status Law / Masters in Law: This is another option, where I could apply to Oxford Senior Status, Bristol MA Law, Nottingham Graduate LLB, and Exeter Graduate LLB and then look for vacation schemes and eventual trainee solicitor contracts.

Masters: My grades are high enough to get into graduate programs at LSE, Kings, UCL, St. Andrews, amongst others. I have heard of students whom have done 12 month programs and then applied for trainee solicitor contracts. After which you will still have to do the GDL and LPC, but it has been paid for. This option would be fantastic, but I am nervous that I will not get a T.C and waste money on a Masters.

GDL --> I could also pay for the GDL at the College of Law myself, after having my GDL I can then seek out the job market, but I am nervous that my non-experience in the law + my background at Wilfrid Laurier will harm my chances of getting into an established firm.

Please help me decide what option is the best in my circumstance. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickman22)

I am a 3rd year student studying at a less prestigious university in Ontario, Canada named Wilfrid Laurier University. Although the school is less prestigious, I do have a 3.91/4.0 G.P.A, the equivalent to a First Class Honours Degree. My dream is to become a City of London Lawyer working in a large commercial firm. I want to seek the advice of TSR on what my next steps are:

Vacation Scheme: As I am in the penultimate year of my studies, I was thinking of applying to vacation schemes at large City firms from Wilfrid Laurier University. I am a duel national (I hold British citizenship) so I have no issue working in the United Kingdom. From there, I would hope that I could receive a Trainee Solicitor Contract, where they can then pay for my GDL and LPC expenses. This, of course, is the dream scenario and I wanted to know how likely it would be to receive an offer like this based off my credentials?

BA Senior Status Law / Masters in Law: This is another option, where I could apply to Oxford Senior Status, Bristol MA Law, Nottingham Graduate LLB, and Exeter Graduate LLB and then look for vacation schemes and eventual trainee solicitor contracts.

Masters: My grades are high enough to get into graduate programs at LSE, Kings, UCL, St. Andrews, amongst others. I have heard of students whom have done 12 month programs and then applied for trainee solicitor contracts. After which you will still have to do the GDL and LPC, but it has been paid for. This option would be fantastic, but I am nervous that I will not get a T.C and waste money on a Masters.

GDL --> I could also pay for the GDL at the College of Law myself, after having my GDL I can then seek out the job market, but I am nervous that my non-experience in the law + my background at Wilfrid Laurier will harm my chances of getting into an established firm.

Please help me decide what option is the best in my circumstance. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
    My opinion is that you would be better to get on with the GDL and get as much practical experience as possible. Obviously if you can get on a vacation scheme that would be ideal. Also, maybe you should be prepared to start working at a less prestigious firm and by proving yourself there you may be able to move to a better firm at a later date.

Masters at those places are also going to be very competitive... I'm not trying to be rude, but why did you go to a "less prestigious" uni for undergraduate? Obviously you've done very well there, but I don't know how they view these things.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickman22)

Really hard to say what your chances are. Firms don't recruit on academics alone - will depend on you wider application (for instance the difference between duel and dual could influence your application!).

A masters is completely unnecessary. If it is a not an LLM it could actually harm your ability to convince a potential employer on your motiviation for law. Any prestigious LLM would be difficult to get on without a law undergraduate degree. But even most firms would advise against doing an LLM unless you really wanted to do it for your own benefit rather than to further your career prospects.

You don't have to rush into a decision to apply to the GDL. You could sign up to the course a month or so before it started.

So if it was me, I'd apply for vacation schemes and training contracts this year and see how I got on. If successful, you don't have to worry about it. If not successful, then you can make a decision.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.