Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just checked the ranking its not that bad at all. Is it because it has many asians enrolled in it?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial and LSE have many Asians and no one says they are bad universities.

But QMUL is quite good, not a top uni but better than average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    I just checked the ranking its not that bad at all. Is it because it has many asians enrolled in it?
    There are better universities with more Asians enrolled than QMUL, so that's not the reason.

Now, I don't think it's bad by any means, but the problem is, is that it's got the biggest geographical inferiority complex ever by being located in the same city as Imperial, UCL, LSE and Kings'. As a result of this, it often gets compared to these unis and gets discredited because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    Probably because of the area it's in (Whitechapel) which is quite deprived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmac123455)
    And they have a graveyard on campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmac123455)
    Its actually in Mile End.

And its not a bad Uni at all, if the location were such a gripe, surely most of the universities in the UK would be frowned upon? I always hear that the Uni of Manchester is great but the surrounding areas are a little rough.

QM is probably not so respected because it has *generous* entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    because it's not an Oxford or a Southampton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Its actually in Mile End.

And its not a bad Uni at all, if the location were such a gripe, surely most of the universities in the UK would be frowned upon? I always hear that the Uni of Manchester is great but the surrounding areas are a little rough.

QM is probably not so respected because it has *generous* entry requirements.
    To me they're the same thing (I live on the other side of London). It's still quite competitive for some courses though but I understand what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    And they have a graveyard on campus.
    No way! I had no idea.

ReputationRep:
    The graveyard shouldn't be seen in a bad way...

ReputationRep:
    Because it gets compared to the holy quartet of Imperial/LSE/UCL/King's and falls short.

In terms of rankings, QM basically bridges the gap between the unis above and places like Royal Holloway, Goldsmith's and SOAS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.