Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help answering this a level question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 59
Size:  93.0 KBFor the last question the answer is 11.1 but I got 0.0111, can someone tell me how to work this out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucofthewoods)
Size:  93.0 KBFor the last question the answer is 11.1 but I got 0.0111, can someone tell me how to work this out
    mulitply your answer by 1000 to give you volume in dm3, you have volume in m3, pay attention to the units they ask of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatawesomekid)
    mulitply your answer by 1000 to give you volume in dm3, you have volume in m3, pay attention to the units they ask of you!
    sorry this is a silly question but where does it say it's in m3? But thank you!

ReputationRep:
    The
    ideal gas equation that you used will give an answer in m3. But the question asked for dm3 so you multiply your answer by 1000.
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisturbedCustard)
    The
    ideal gas equation that you used will give an answer in m3. But the question asked for dm3 so you multiply your answer by 1000.
    hope this helps
    So unless told different do you assume it's the standard units?

ReputationRep:
    sorry this is a silly question but where does it say it's in m3? But thank you!
    Question says to find volume in dm^3 on the second line.
    The ideal gas equation (pV=nRT) will always give/ require volume to be in m^3 just as pressure must be in Pa, and temp in K. To convert the volume that you got (0.0111 m^3) to dm^3 you multiply by 1000. You've done the right working, just didn't finish it off by converting to the correct units
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    So unless told different do you assume it's the standard units?
    This has probably caused confusion because the ideal gas equation is used with two different sets of units.

With strict SI units you have volume in m3 and pressure in Nm-2 (Pa)

With the units often used in chemistry you have volume in dm3 and pressure in kPa.

You need to pay attention to the pressure given as this will give yo the volume units.

You should be thankful as a few years ago you could also have pressure in atm, which gives a different value for R (different units), or even pressure in mmHg (Torr).

At least now things are a little more standardised...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.