Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

how hard is first year maths

ReputationRep:
    so i start my lectures next week for maths. My first year counts for 10%. Was wondering how is it like? I only got an A for a level maths and didnt take further maths. I did work really hard for it.
    How many hours would I need to put in for uni?
    also out of 10 what difficulty would u say maths is?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an A2 maths/further maths student, but I do wonder how hard undergraduate mathematics is.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry that much about further maths in my opinion. My flatmate did maths without further maths a-level and said that when he was paying attention to the lecturer and learning the further maths material, the further maths students tended to get complacent and score lower on the exams.

It is a bad idea to ask for the amount of hours. It depends really. I would say just make sure you understand somewhat at least the material covered each week, doing so my writing up lecture notes, working through examples etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Don't worry that much about further maths in my opinion. My flatmate did maths without further maths a-level and said that when he was paying attention to the lecturer and learning the further maths material, the further maths students tended to get complacent and score lower on the exams.

It is a bad idea to ask for the amount of hours. It depends really. I would say just make sure you understand somewhat at least the material covered each week, doing so my writing up lecture notes, working through examples etc.
    Thank you, are there any websites that cover maths degree content? For a-levels i used exam solutions and i doubt theres such a thing for maths. Ive seen some lectures on youtube but their modules seem different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)

I couldn't agree more with this answer. Basically everything he said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imran___)
    Thank you, are there any websites that cover maths degree content? For a-levels i used exam solutions and i doubt theres such a thing for maths. Ive seen some lectures on youtube but their modules seem different
    Plenty of videos on YouTube about pretty much every topic you'll cover, just search and you'll find a video on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imran___)
    I don't actually study a maths degree, so I can't really comment on what material will be online as I haven't covered enough of it. However I highly suspect there to be ample good sources for just about any material on an undergraduate degree. The modules in maths I've covered have been for scientists/engineers, so all applied stuff. Though there were topics co-taught with the actual maths degree students such as fluid dynamics. And all the fluid dynamics material was easily found online or in a text book.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.