Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive been accepted to Management Science, but lately ive been hearing from alt of ppl that its an easy course, that ts not a challenge and its boring etc...which has kinda got me worried!

I was thinking, that if i were to change course, id change to Philosophy Politics and Economics..but this is a new course at Warwick..and not alot of information is available online..

What i was wondering is how do the relative prestige of the two courses compare, particularly in the employers' eyes, and which would be both more of an academic challenge and better to go into the various finance/banking professions with..

Any help will be really really welcomed!

Thanks alot..port

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugal)
    Ive been accepted to Management Science, but lately ive been hearing from alt of ppl that its an easy course, that ts not a challenge and its boring etc...which has kinda got me worried!

I was thinking, that if i were to change course, id change to Philosophy Politics and Economics..but this is a new course at Warwick..and not alot of information is available online..

What i was wondering is how do the relative prestige of the two courses compare, particularly in the employers' eyes, and which would be both more of an academic challenge and better to go into the various finance/banking professions with..

Thanks alot..port
    nooo management science is really good, esp for employment, it covers a wide area, and itd be even better if you do a masters on economics and finance, operrational research or something, i would recommend you to go for it! btw, i never knew that warwick offers management sciences? is this undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    yes, its supposedly quite a good course...heres the link to it:

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/undergraduate/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    itd be even better if you do a masters on economics and finance, operrational research or something,
    I looked up the MSc in Economics and Finance that you mentioned..bt in the eligibility page it actually says :

"It is unlikely that you will have sufficient formal training if your degree is in business administration, business studies, commerce or another similar area. Consequently, your application will not usually be considered."

--http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/masters/economics_finance/academic_qualifications.cfm

So really to do this it requires a degree with a heavy maths base, or lots of economics modules (i was thinking that with the management science degree u cud take lots of economics modules..perhaps theyd accept that)

ReputationRep:
    Phone up/Email and ask...

ReputationRep:
    I looked up the MSc in Economics and Finance that you mentioned..bt in the eligibility page it actually says :

"It is unlikely that you will have sufficient formal training if your degree is in business administration, business studies, commerce or another similar area. Consequently, your application will not usually be considered."

--http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/masters/economics_finance/academic_qualifications.cfm

So really to do this it requires a degree with a heavy maths base, or lots of economics modules (i was thinking that with the management science degree u cud take lots of economics modules..perhaps theyd accept that)
    from the lse site it says you can do a finance and ecnomics,international accounting and finance, msc economics, msc econometrics and mathematical economics...blabla bla basically anything, etc...anyways you dont have to do msc at warwick anyways, im sure you can do a msc at lse or something if u want

Thanks alot..port
    haha this is sooo weird! - i was having exactly the same worries bout my course, and wondering bout how easy it would be to change, except i've got a conditional offer to do PPE and was thinking bout changing to Management Science!

haha so i guess if we both decided to change there would be a spot for both of us in the courses we wanted to do!

just outta curiosity, why did u initially decide to do management and why are u attracted to PPE?

ReputationRep:
    I initially chose to do management science cause i really had no idea what to do, and i was just looking over the prospectus and decided on-the-spot to do management and see where it would take me (was hoping into finance or managemnt consultancy)..

More recently i looked over the prospectus again, and noticed PPE for the first time (yeh yeh i know i didnt do my homework properly when deciding what to do )..read about it.and m interested in the fact u can do a bit of philosophy, a bit of politics, and lots of economics (all three of which im interested in)- or whichever suits me best, as its a really flexible degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hey portugal,

my best mate did managment science and did really well. The course is excellent and higly regarded. Whilst there is an emphasis on the buisness side of things i remember tagging along to lectures involving psychology and philosophy in the first year (honestly it really wasn't to check out this really fit girl). If you really don't like it I am pretty sure you will be able to change course, the uni seems to be quite open about this. However i have know people have to start again from scratch though this was a girl who changed from history to accy finn.

Whatever you study you will have a good time, and to be honest when you start you will realise that the subject you study is one of only many things you go to uni for.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.