Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I'm applying for 2017 uni entry and I can't wait to study away from home. However, I'm most worried about making friends at uni.

I'm 17 and female. All of my friends right now are all males and we all share 2 common interests: anime and video games. We all became friends because we are in the same college computer science class. However, I plan on studying Law at uni, so I'm scared I won't have the opportunity to meet many gamers because let's face it, they will probably be studying STEM subjects.

To add to that, I'm quite introverted. I hate going to parties; I didn't go to a single party during my first year of sixth form because there's almost 3000 students where I go and there's so many people that I don't know that the thought of being at a party with a load of strangers scares me. I heard that the only way to make friends at uni is to go to loads of parties and get drunk with people, so I'm scared nobody will want to hang out with me when I don't do that. Don't get me wrong, I love getting drunk just as much as everyone else. I went to a few parties during high school which were ok because I knew the people there, and drinking allowed me to come out of my shell a bit, but it's not something I can do a few nights a week. I'd just get exhausted.

So yeah, do you think I'll make friends at uni or will I have to come out of my comfort zone a bit? Please help. I am dreading the thought of being a complete loner xD
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artemis_)
    Hey everyone. I'm applying for 2017 uni entry and I can't wait to study away from home. However, I'm most worried about making friends at uni.

I'm 17 and female. All of my friends right now are all males and we all share 2 common interests: anime and video games. We all became friends because we are in the same college computer science class. However, I plan on studying Law at uni, so I'm scared I won't have the opportunity to meet many gamers because let's face it, they will probably be studying STEM subjects.

To add to that, I'm quite introverted. I hate going to parties; I didn't go to a single party during my first year of sixth form because there's almost 3000 students where I go and there's so many people that I don't know that the thought of being at a party with a load of strangers scares me. I heard that the only way to make friends at uni is to go to loads of parties and get drunk with people, so I'm scared nobody will want to hang out with me when I don't do that. Don't get me wrong, I love getting drunk just as much as everyone else. I went to a few parties during high school which were ok because I knew the people there, and drinking allowed me to come out of my shell a bit, but it's not something I can do a few nights a week. I'd just get exhausted.

So yeah, do you think I'll make friends at uni or will I have to come out of my comfort zone a bit? Please help. I am dreading the thought of being a complete loner xD
    You will have to come out of your comfort zone anyway but you don't have to go out partying to make friends. Just get involved in other ways (that's the part that involves going out of your comfort zone). For example, I know the gaming society at my uni does like LAN parties or something.. you know.. activities tat you might find fun.

ReputationRep:
    You are highly introverted ? Do you like law though ?

Dont worry about making friends, as long as you put on a smile and keep an interaction going when peoplw approach you, you will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.