Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to deal with people playing games/saying untrue things about you?

So I've met two people outside of my family, relatives and social circle.

I've told a lot of people I'm studying Computer Science and this info is also on my Facebook.

I have worked as a waiter only one day a week, however, I quit in March.

Doing much research into programming, software, web development, there are many who built projects and got into these jobs without a degree so I decided to pursue this path.

So I've told a lot of people I'm going to built projects and then apply for programming, web developer jobs.I've seen two people and person A who is a male met me at Asda and he said "what am I doing" I said starting to look for programmer jobs, he said "I thought you was working as a waiter".

I also seen another lady I know last week, she asked me "what am I doing now", I said applying for programmer jobs", she said "I thought you was working as a waiter", I can't believe she's saying this, her husband knows and her cousins also know I applying for programmer jobs, I've told them, so she must've knew this info before I told her.

I wonder why they put so much emphasis on the waiter job instead of asking about my degree or my job search.
    I feel there is some game play here, they either think I'm lying or they just don't want me to succeed.

Why on earth she would say that?1) I was working with her cousin and we both left in March, so she knows I left in March.2) I've told her husband and cousins I'm looking for programmer jobs, so she must know this, unless they got jealous and did not tell her, I say this because their family do say "what am I up to".3) I am still studying, so why think I'm working as a waiter for a career?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they forgot?

Unless I'm not understanding the context on your post, I'd say you were making a mountain out of a molehill. They made a mistake in their assumption, or forgot, or weren't listening the first time...all sorts of reasons why they may think you're still working as a waiter.

Relax, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've met two people outside of my family, relatives and social circle.

I've told a lot of people I'm studying Computer Science and this info is also on my Facebook.

I have worked as a waiter only one day a week, however, I quit in March.

Doing much research into programming, software, web development, there are many who built projects and got into these jobs without a degree so I decided to pursue this path.

So I've told a lot of people I'm going to built projects and then apply for programming, web developer jobs.I've seen two people and person A who is a male met me at Asda and he said "what am I doing" I said starting to look for programmer jobs, he said "I thought you was working as a waiter".

I also seen another lady I know last week, she asked me "what am I doing now", I said applying for programmer jobs", she said "I thought you was working as a waiter", I can't believe she's saying this, her husband knows and her cousins also know I applying for programmer jobs, I've told them, so she must've knew this info before I told her.

I wonder why they put so much emphasis on the waiter job instead of asking about my degree or my job search.
    I feel there is some game play here, they either think I'm lying or they just don't want me to succeed.
    Throat punch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree with the notion they forgot or just made a mistake in their assumption.

All of her family members know full well I'm applying for programmer jobs, including her father, husband, cousins, sister, etc and her father, cousins, sister knows I've been unemployed from March. Their family like to gossip and I'm sure my name is mentioned every week when they come to each others houses.

She is/their family is definitely playing a game.Why are they playing a game? All I know is no family wants to lose power over another family in a financial sense.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.