Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Has anyone tried antidepressents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do they work?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Been on my current one on-and-off for over 5 years. If you find the right one/a good combination, it can work wonders :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Been on my current one on-and-off for over 5 years. If you find the right one/a good combination, it can work wonders :yep:
    I might need some of what you're having
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's probably best to combine taking medication with going to counselling/CBT/therapy. But, find what is the best for you.
    Also, medication has different effects on everyone, so again make sure you get the best for you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    What are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing stopping me from taking them is if they make my brain go foggy and drowsy. I was given Nortriptyline for headaches, which is a second generation antidepressant. Unfortunately it made my thoughts extremely 'jumpy'.

Have you considered therapy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    What are you taking?
    I take 150mg (a high dose) of an antidepressant called Sertraline a day. It works for me but as mentioned above, different drugs work for different people :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I take 150mg (a high dose) of an antidepressant called Sertraline a day. It works for me but as mentioned above, different drugs work for different people :yes:
    How would I get antidepressants without my parents knowing?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? If you are 16 or over you can go to the doctors without your parents and everything can be confidential but then you have to show symptoms and be eligible for them. Not sure if you have to be a certain age to take them though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? I don't really know the answer to this tbh - I was 21 when they first suggested antidepressants :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123moon)
    How old are you? If you are 16 or over you can go to the doctors without your parents and everything can be confidential.
    I'm 16. How would I ask my doctor for antidepressants? He's one of those judgemental Indian types

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123moon)
    Why, do you need them? Aww bless. I can be your friend
    I mean this to educate you not to be rude.

That is probably one of the least helpful things you can say. Being depressed is nowhere as simple as not having someone to talk to. It's an illness and although you may have meant well, you've made it seem like it's something that can be easily fixed with a bit of friendship. Yes feeling like you don't have friends and feeling like you're lonely can make it worse but those aren't the roots of depression. People can have depression even if they have the most supportive friends and have a life that looks good on paper - it's something much more than just a sadness. The fact that there's pills and medication for it demonstrates that. Please don't reduce it to something less serious than it is.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16. How would I ask my doctor for antidepressants? He's one of those judgemental Indian types
    You would have to clearly show signs of depression , anxiety etc. but i'm not sure how old you have to be to take them. (It would be best to tell your parents though but it is your choice)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imjustnotnormal)
    I mean this to educate you not to be rude.

That is probably one of the least helpful things you can say. Being depressed is nowhere as simple as not having someone to talk to. It's an illness and although you may have meant well, you've made it seem like it's something that can be easily fixed with a bit of friendship. Yes feeling like you don't have friends and feeling like you're lonely can make it worse but those aren't the roots of depression. People can have depression even if they have the most supportive friends and have a life that looks good on paper - it's something much more than just a sadness. The fact that there's pills and medication for it demonstrates that. Please don't reduce it to something less serious than it is.
    This is true and you speak rightly. I was also referring to a previous thread made by the OP.
    My intention was not to mock or offend anyone at all.

ReputationRep:
    I had a go for a while but it was mostly futile as the dosage was way too low and I only tried one type - different drugs work best for different people.

For me though there was no noticable effect, but really that is just a testament to my GPs willingness to give me a proper dosage - which wasn't there. The dosage I received was basically not proven to do anything more than a placebo effect... So I suppose my comment is quite worthless.

ReputationRep:
    It didnt get rid of it but it kinda lowered the intensity although without the therapy with it, I don't think I would have recovered at all. lol "recovered" if i can even say that now...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I find them incredibly helpful. They've changed my life. I got my first ones at 13 or 14, and everything was confidential. My mum didn't find out until I was about to turn 19. Everyone will have a different experience with them, and there's so many different ones out there. Some will work for you while others may not. Just go to your GP and discuss it with them. Your appointment is confidential, as is your medical history. They'll be able to discuss with you whether medication would be suitable for you or not as well

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your GP and they will guide you.

CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)- talking therapy is the first line treatment. antidepressants can take 4-6 weeks to work on average, so you have to take them for a little while before you could see the benefit.

ReputationRep:
    I switched GPs. Can I lie and say my old GP prescribed my antidepressants first?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I switched GPs. Can I lie and say my old GP prescribed my antidepressants first?
    No. Not only will they know that is a lie, they'll be more likely to think you're just after drugs. Medication isn't right for everyone, remember that. If your doctor doesn't think you are a candidate for it, there's a reason. Don't lie to your doctor, because you need help for you that is tailored to you, not the fake person you've told them about. Just be honest and tell the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.