Announcements

ReputationRep:
    B1058 – Prevention of Scamming the Public Bill 2016, Nigel Farage MEP MP
    Prevention of Scamming the Public Bill 2016

A
    BILL
    TO

A bill to discourage religion in Britain

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Control of religion in schools

(1) Creationism shall not be taught in schools.
    (2) Teachers, or the school body will be forbidden from promoting a religion, or religious views to pupils.
    (3) Religion may not be encouraged in schools.
    (4) Religious education lessons in schools will focus on teaching why religion is wrong.
    (5) Schools will take an active part in discouraging pupils to not be religious.

2 Faith schools

(1) All state-funded faith schools will be forced to convert to a comprehensive school, or academy.
    (2) A state-funded faith schools will convert before the 1st September 2017.

3 Places of worship

(1) No new places of worship are to be built.
    (2) All existing places of worship are forbidden from discriminating against members, and entry on the grounds of religion.
    (3) All state funding to places of worship shall stop.

4 Minority religious groups

(1) Groups to represent religions shall no longer be recognised by the government.
    (2) All state funding to groups whose purpose is to represent members of a religion shall have their funding stopped.

5 House of Lords

(1) All Bishops from the House of Lords shall be removed.
    (2) The Head of State will be prohibited from taking an place in the organisation, or hierarchy of the Church of England, or any other religious body.

6 Tax exemptions

(1) All tax exemption for religious groups, and places of worship shall be removed.
    (2) All places of worship, and religious groups shall be forced to pay a 15% religious removal tax to fund campaigns to remove religion from society.

7 Campaigns to remove religion

(1) The government shall start a public awareness campaign to encourage being an atheist, and debunking the lies religions make.
    (2) All television programming that promotes religion, or
    (3) All members of the Royal Family, and any member serving in an elected office shall be prohibited from making a speech, or publicly supporting literature, or media that references religion, except;
    a. if the speech, literature, or media criticises religion.
    b. if the speech, literature, or media is made for comedic purposes.

8 Interpretations

(1) In this Act encourage means trying to persuade pupils to become religious, or informing pupils of positives to becoming religious.
    (2) In this Act promote refers to distribution material, or making speeches that encourages religion, or informs of religion in a non-critical way.
    (3) In this Act a religious body, or group is a collection of individuals, or groups whose primary aim is to promote a religion, or represent a religion.
    (4) In this Act a place of worship is a building, or geographic area where the primary purpose is to pray, promote a religion, or act as a meeting ground for individuals who identify as religious.

9 Commencement, short title, and extent

(1) This Act shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.
    (2) This Act may be cited as the Religion act 2016.
    (3) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.

Notes

Religion is the biggest scam in the Universe, the concept of having omnipresent magic sky daddies that control our lives, created everything we see, and judge us after death is absurd. There is no being greater than the entire sum of all things in the Universe that has remained hidden from all who are aware, whose brain able to think up the design of all intricate beings, and things in the Universe.

Religious causes wars, a decline in social cohesion, and a public who look to something that does not exist for guidance. Britain was a world leader in the Industrial Revolution, this bill calls on Britain to be a world leader by taking the first steps to rid the planet of religion.

ReputationRep:
    Naaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    See some of this I support. If this weren't militant atheist is vote for this.

ReputationRep:
    nay, too much gov interference, and section 3 is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I support a good amount of this. However, I can't support the Bill as a whole while sections 1(4), 1(5), 3, 4(1), 6(2) and 7 remain.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned by others, a few decent points, but I can't support this in its current form and I highly doubt the changes which I would want to be made will be. I would go into more detail but I'm rushing to finish packing right now.

ReputationRep:
    Quite apart from the content itself, the English is awful.

The title of the bill is bad English.
    Section 1(5) is convoluted.
    Section 2(1) is bad English.
    Section 3(2) is bad English.
    Section 5(2) should obviously not say an place.

If you're going to keep churning out this Orwellian shite you could at least proofread it.

ReputationRep:
    Some of this is alright, I would even vote in favour of it. But parts like this I can't accept:

(4) Religious education lessons in schools will focus on teaching why religion is wrong.
    (5) Schools will take an active part in discouraging pupils to not be religious.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off, I'm not going to dignify this with a proper response. I never thought I'd see Nigel Farage MEP trying to impose some of the worst elements of the USSR onto Britain. One of the strongest nays I've given in a long time.

If any atheists here have ever wondered why some religious people don't welcome them with open arms....crap like this is half the reason why. Live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Quite apart from the content itself, the English is awful.

The title of the bill is bad English.
    Section 1(5) is convoluted.
    Section 2(1) is bad English.
    Section 3(2) is bad English.
    Section 5(2) should obviously not say an place.

If you're going to keep churning out this Orwellian shite you could at least proofread it.
    How ironic considering the author of this bill's views on people who use bad English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    1 (4) and (5) are plainly ridiculous. RE should be teaching children about different religion and about atheist/agnostic viewpoints, while a state institution actively discouraging people from being religious is bordering on bigotry and oppression. I never thought I'd see Nigel Farage MEP trying to impose some of the worst elements of the USSR onto Britain. One of the strongest nays I've given in a long time.

If any atheists here have ever wondered why some religious people don't welcome them with open arms....crap like this is half the reason why. Live and let live.
    Agreed.

Some of the parts to this bill, such as 1(1), are sensible. The rest is sadly not.

ReputationRep:
    *Yawn*

ReputationRep:
    Erm. Nope. Anyway, I thought you supported the preservation of traditional customs Nigel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Erm. Nope. Anyway, I thought you supported the preservation of traditional customs Nigel?
    Only when they're ones he likes.

ReputationRep:
    lol I'm not fond of religion myself but you're just being an oppressive ******* by suggesting something like this.

1(4) shows how narrow-minded you are and I'm glad people seemingly have the common sense to not vote for this.

ReputationRep:
    Before doing something like this we must first reach a conclusive answer for the question of whether there's a god. Now, if we say there is a god a few atheists will go "oh bugger" and carry on with life. But if we say there isn't a god, lots of people take happiness and stuff from having a religion, so we'd be removing a massive source of happiness and the end result would be chaos. So for the time being it is safer just to carry on as is. Therefore, nay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Some parts of it seem okay, but others are just plain silly.

ReputationRep:
    There are parts of this I could support, why not stick to the sensible stuff and give it a chance to pass instead of going out to the extremes that will not pass?

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.