Can I apply for a masters degree this late?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've decided I want to apply to do a masters degree, but obviously have left it very late.

I guess it depends on each university's policy, but in general do they tend to accept new students this late and how would I go about applying this late?

Would I have to go through the normal process of applying online? The problem with that is it's so late now that I probably wouldn't be able to write a personal statement and get my references together in time.

Obviously this is quite an open ended question considering every university will have different policies, but I'd be grateful if anyone can give me any advice on how to go about apply this late.

ReputationRep:
    The first thing you should ask yourself is if the course you want to study starts in September... because if so I find it hard to believe that you could join a course that has already started.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I would almost definitely say it's too late. Most courses have started or will start in about a weeks time.

However, there will be some courses with a Jan start data but this is rare. The only real way to find out is to find a course, and see if they're still accepting applications. Applying for next year would probably be more ideal as it gives you time to think about choices and become more organised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    Obviously this is quite an open ended question considering every university will have different policies, but I'd be grateful if anyone can give me any advice on how to go about apply this late.
    Phone up and ask the relevant administrators if they are still taking students for the course. Master's degree applications are not standardised in the same way as undergraduate degree applications, so it's really up to the individual departments.

Do this on Monday. You are not losing anything by waiting until then because nothing would happen with any application over the weekend anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred5134)
    The first thing you should ask yourself is if the course you want to study starts in September... because if so I find it hard to believe that you could join a course that has already started.
    I think it varies, I'm pretty sure some start next week and some courses don't even start til early October.

When I did my undergrad degree I'm pretty sure there were a few who started one or two weeks after the start of the course, but I think undergrad admissions tend to be a bit more flexible in that regard, probably because the first year of undergrad doesn't count.

Yeah, I'm starting to think I've left it too late, I'd probably be better off applying for next September than wasting my time trying to join courses that have mostly already started.

ReputationRep:
    I've known people to join a postgraduate course a few weeks into it. Contact courses that you want to join.

I would imagine that a lot of unis would be only too pleased to receive a student for the sake of a couple of weeks missed.*

ReputationRep:
    The University of Gloucestershire still had the apply button on their website yesterday but their courses start next week. If your referees can reply quickly and you can upload your certificates, you might get on if you find a course you'd like to do. Otherwise, have you considered the OU/distance learning or seeing if there are any January intakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    They're probably struggling for applicants. I, for one, can't see why someone would do their Masters at a below-par university such as Gloucestershire.
    You're such a non-RG snob. Any posts to do with universities, you're there. Really and truly, at masters it's not so much about university rep. If you see a course you like and you think can benefit you either academically or your career prospects then why not. University rep means nothing if you have a **** personality.

Anyway, I'm sure you're trolling.

ReputationRep:
    Some masters degree start in January entry, do some reaearch!

ReputationRep:
    I applied two weeks before the start date due to personal circumstances and got accepted within a matter of days.

However most courses have now started or will do within a week. I would look at applying for a Jan intake.

ReputationRep:
    Similar situation...

I applied to a few (very) different courses in a panic, including southampton, glasgow, birmingham and ucl. They will let you start a few days late (first few days is usually waffle) but probably not after that.

I think I have lost my place at glasgow now because they had no scholarships available and I missed the induction week last week.

At the end of the day, it's going to cost you £15,000 at least with accommodation fees.

I don't know if I will even go yet at the last minute. I'm unemployed and can't be ****ed wasting another year of my life, so I understand your eagerness to do something.

Very few places have january intake. Not sure how part time study works, but they probably want you there in the first week.

It's a *****y, outdated system.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.