Turn on thread page Beta

What are the best places to meet people (apart from clubs and bars)? watch

ReputationRep:
    uni societies

ReputationRep:
    This will sound sad, but myspace. Just look on your college/ uni page and get chatting to people on there it's good because you'll always have something in common anyway, by going to the same college or uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco6)
    yeah, apart from meeting through friends, all the other ways people have listed seem a little unrealistic.
    No they're not. Just a tiny bit of sociability goes a long way. If girls go around looking like they're going to rip someone's head off if anyone dares say anything to them, then people won't bother.

You only need a short conversation (5-10 minutes) with someone and then suggest swapping numbers for things to move on. It's happened to me and it's happened to plenty of other people. A girl just has to say something to a guy she notices and it moves on from there. Most guys are relieved that a girl when she makes the first move.

Of course, if you go around looking miserable with a hoodie on, listening to your ipod, like you think that speaking to people is a waste of time and you don't want to talk to anyone in case it cramps your style, you're not helping yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sticky)
    No they're not. Just a tiny bit of sociability goes a long way. If girls go around looking like they're going to rip someone's head off if anyone dares say anything to them, then people won't bother.

You only need a short conversation (5-10 minutes) with someone and then suggest swapping numbers for things to move on. It's happened to me and it's happened to plenty of other people. A girl just has to say something to a guy she notices and it moves on from there. Most guys are relieved that a girl when she makes the first move.

Of course, if you go around looking miserable with a hoodie on, listening to your ipod, like you think that speaking to people is a waste of time and you don't want to talk to anyone in case it cramps your style, you're not helping yourself.
    Well I don't really think that chatting up people anywhere other than clubs/bars isn't a very good idea. But that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    well I've never had much luck at bars and clubs, but I'm not sure if the other places/ways people mentioned would actually work.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so uptight. Most guys are happy to have a conversation with a girl. It doesn't kill to be a bit sociable.

ReputationRep:
    School, college, uni, work, pub, livin on the same street, shop assistance, sporting clubs, part of teams, if you are a man... go to the womens clothes section and visversa if you are a girl. You can meet people anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...

Best thing I can think of is this:

Pick something you like doing, or would like to do. Can be anything, Chances are, there's a group of people doing that already - find out where they meet/practise/discuss/whatever, and join in! You'll at least have one thing in common, whether its sport, work(voluntary or paid), beliefs or interests.

ReputationRep:
    best places are bars. dont go to clubs if you want to chat up a girl. unless you are an amazingly good looking model, it is very unlikely that you will be able to pull a hottie in a nightclub. it will be just dirty averages .lol. bars are perfect. the music isnt loud and etc. house parties are pretty gd as well, but they dont happen often.
    but i find it hard to believe that people can chat up girls at the ice rinks, shopping mall or tube. thats just soo weird, especially in front of people there.

ReputationRep:
    best places are bars.
    never met anyone great there.

but i find it hard to believe that people can chat up girls at the ice rinks, shopping mall or tube. thats just soo weird, especially in front of people there.
    yeah, it would be weird. But even in clubs/bars/parties there are so many people around.

ReputationRep:
    Im just banking that when I go to uni it will be 'Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen', uh, i mean Oxford.

(Who else loved Dumb and Dumber?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    I wouldn't say a shopping mall is great but ice rinks are perfect. The tube can be a bit tricky as a lot of people really don't want to have a conversation on there but if a girl asked me something and I liked the look of her (to be honest, even she doesn't look that great, who cares, she might be really friendly), I'd probably just make a quick comment, see how she reacts and start a conversation from there.

There's nothing weird about starting conversations in public. Maybe you find it weird because you're not comfortable in social surroundings, like many other people.

That's why, if a girl wants to meet people, she has ALL the chances on her side. Girls aren't expected to be great at conversations: they just need to leave out the bait by saying just a quick comment/asking a quick question and see if the guy starts a conversation. Guys rarely can do that because there's still this whole belief that guys should do the approaching and that it's not right if a girl chats up a guy and I don't reckon that many girls find it attractive if a guy can't hold a conversation.

A usual conversation in public would usually work like this:
    Question/comment/Ice-breaker - Opener - Reaction of the other person (potential comment) - Proper conversation - Number?

If girls are willing to do the ice-breaker, I can guarantee that their chances of being chatted up will increase several times. Funnily enough, I've noticed that the girls who are the best at this are the ones who aren't so attractive. They go that extra mile to start conversations and guess what, it works for them.

Too many girls think that they can just sit back and count on their looks and guys will approach them, yet they still want to be able to reject the majority of them if they don't like the look of them. Well, guess what, most guys won't bother all together or you'll just get the sleazebags.

ReputationRep:
    On the tube hiding behind the Metro.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t buy this 'join societies' thing. You can argue sports teams are societies. Now given I play rugby and footy, am male, and not gay, I’m hardily going to meet any girls in those teams. Things should become more fertile once I reach uni, but at the moment, during this massive summer holiday I’m on until uni, the only real place to score some is clubs and bars. As nice as it sounds, I’m probably not going to get talking to someone whilst I’m hurriedly trying to get some clothes in town, I don’t think many other people do either. Luckily, the score rate in clubs for me has been satisfactory (though not great) to keep me ticking over until uni, where I anticipate it will be a field day.

ReputationRep:
    none of the places that people have mentioned would really work. It would be so awkward to chat up/be chatted up at a mall, tube, etc.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Just because you find them awkward does not necessarily mean they are....

ReputationRep:
    its easy to pull in a club, i dont care what anyone says, you just need a bit of courage to approach a hotty. the courage is the hardest part. Of all the conversations ive had with girls in the club, i cant remember anything about any one of them. Theyre totally unremarkable and they count for **** in terms of you waking up the next day adn thinking 'i cant beleive i said that' - you never think that coz you cant remember what an earth you said in that inane conversation about nothing you had. In the scheme of things, you never remember how exacly you chatted people up, but you do remember that you pulled. Its far easier actually get on with the actual pulling than it is chatting, which is bizarre since you'd think youd remember the chatting bit more becasue its more difficult at the time.

What im trying to say is the hardest part - going up and talking to them - is the part you never remember, so just do it and stop caring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've gone out with/dated girls who I met mostly at:

University
    The Library
    Shopping Malls
    Holidays
    TSR

:eek: more than one person has said this. Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesh^^)
    ^ Just because you find them awkward does not necessarily mean they are....
    I never said so. But I have never heard of even a single couple who met in any of the places that have been mentioned here, so I feel it would be awkward.

ReputationRep:
    I met my bf at a bus stop:

nuf said :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2007
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.