The Student Room Group

Nothing to do on gap year? Depressed

I missed the grades I needed for my firm, I got enough for m insurance but I didn't want to go there so I've decided to take a gap year with the idea that I would spend the whole time travelling with money I have saved.

I have signed up to go and volunteer in January for 3 months in Africa but they don't want me to be away in the 3 months preceding it which means I can't travel anywhere until then (unless it's for 2 weeks or less).

So I am soo depressed now, watching everyone go to freshers and I am at home with literally nothing to do all day. I don't really want a job either as I worked during most of 6th form and I kind of want a break from work for now.

Any ideas as to what I can do for the next 3 and half months? Or if there are any affordable 2/3 week gap year trips.
What kind of job did you have previously?
Reply 2
go camping with friends
I get you.

I haven't done much apart from attempting to study, having panic attacks (due to other reasons), procrastinating by reading books for hours on end...

-____-
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
What kind of job did you have previously?

I worked in a supermarket. I did make some money which was good but I really really hated it while I was there and I will probably end up applying for a job eventually during the year but I really don't want to work now (especially as I have enough money right now)
Original post by Lay-Z
Travel to different places for 2 weeks a time? How would they know anyway

Yass but the only problem is finding an affordable trip that's short and has other 18 year olds on it...
Original post by family'sfailure
I worked in a supermarket. I did make some money which was good but I really really hated it while I was there and I will probably end up applying for a job eventually during the year but I really don't want to work now (especially as I have enough money right now)

Aww, I see what you mean, I've worked one too and it sucked. :s-smilie: Would you still do another job if it was something else in like a clothes shop or something? Or, you could volunteer at a dog rescue centre etc?
Take up a new hobby - learn a musical instrument? Or join a gym and start working out and focusing on fitness. Doesnt matter what it is really, just pick something youve always wanted to try and go for it - if you dont have any aims or goals in the upcoming months youll just feel even more sad and sluggish
try and learn a new skills e.g. instrument or language

take some classes in something (e.g. a language but also art, music, something academic)

volunteer doing something fun/enjoyable - work with disabled kids, animals etc

I don't think it would be the worst thing to earn a bit extra, I know you don't feel like working but it's a few months and the more you have saved for the second half of the year the better
Hi,
I'm on a gap year as well after deciding to transfer course after the first semester. I would say look for work experience or shadowing or maybe even an internship. I know this is a late reply but I'm applying to ics and they recruit volunteers all year to go away for 10-12 weeks. You could still fit it in now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest