Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Nothing to do on gap year? Depressed

ReputationRep:
    I missed the grades I needed for my firm, I got enough for m insurance but I didn't want to go there so I've decided to take a gap year with the idea that I would spend the whole time travelling with money I have saved.

I have signed up to go and volunteer in January for 3 months in Africa but they don't want me to be away in the 3 months preceding it which means I can't travel anywhere until then (unless it's for 2 weeks or less).

So I am soo depressed now, watching everyone go to freshers and I am at home with literally nothing to do all day. I don't really want a job either as I worked during most of 6th form and I kind of want a break from work for now.

Any ideas as to what I can do for the next 3 and half months? Or if there are any affordable 2/3 week gap year trips.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of job did you have previously?

ReputationRep:
    go camping with friends

ReputationRep:
    I get you.

I haven't done much apart from attempting to study, having panic attacks (due to other reasons), procrastinating by reading books for hours on end...

-____-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    What kind of job did you have previously?
    I worked in a supermarket. I did make some money which was good but I really really hated it while I was there and I will probably end up applying for a job eventually during the year but I really don't want to work now (especially as I have enough money right now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Travel to different places for 2 weeks a time? How would they know anyway
    Yass but the only problem is finding an affordable trip that's short and has other 18 year olds on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by family'sfailure)
    I worked in a supermarket. I did make some money which was good but I really really hated it while I was there and I will probably end up applying for a job eventually during the year but I really don't want to work now (especially as I have enough money right now)
    Aww, I see what you mean, I've worked one too and it sucked. Would you still do another job if it was something else in like a clothes shop or something? Or, you could volunteer at a dog rescue centre etc?

ReputationRep:
    volunteering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take up a new hobby - learn a musical instrument? Or join a gym and start working out and focusing on fitness. Doesnt matter what it is really, just pick something youve always wanted to try and go for it - if you dont have any aims or goals in the upcoming months youll just feel even more sad and sluggish

ReputationRep:
    try and learn a new skills e.g. instrument or language

take some classes in something (e.g. a language but also art, music, something academic)

volunteer doing something fun/enjoyable - work with disabled kids, animals etc

I don't think it would be the worst thing to earn a bit extra, I know you don't feel like working but it's a few months and the more you have saved for the second half of the year the better

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm on a gap year as well after deciding to transfer course after the first semester. I would say look for work experience or shadowing or maybe even an internship. I know this is a late reply but I'm applying to ics and they recruit volunteers all year to go away for 10-12 weeks. You could still fit it in now

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.