The Student Room Group

A101 Swansea 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Sorry buddy, can't give more details than you already have!

Everyone goes in with the same as you though, so you aren’t at a disadvantage! We can say try not to worry as they really do go out of their way to make it relaxing. Just go and do what you do best!

Revise hot topics and read your personal statement a couple of hundred times, that should help!
Loads of help in this thread if you read back through :smile:
Original post by tedsenior24
My interview is next Wednesday and I'm at the point now where I am frantically pressing the big red panick button! There are two 20 minute panel interviews - what are the differences between these two interviews? Is it just the personal or will there be specific topics covered in the different interviews? Secondly, at the open day, current students said the exam that is sat is a single best answer exam that is looking at your thought process and is not something that can be revised for - is this correct? Or is there something I can do? Thanks in advance

See you next wednesday! - Mine is then too! - ive been panicking for weeks! :frown::frown:
Original post by 10LFC10
Sorry to ask this here guys but in the gamsat do you know I'd you are allowed juice or is it water only ? It isn't very clear on the instructions

Posted from TSR Mobile

You aren't allowed any drink. You will be chained to your desk on arrival. Your bathroom will be a she-wee that will be attached to you with tape. You can opt for catheterisation if you wish. This is all to test you under pressure hence no one speaks about it, but I feel the public has a right to know about the torture medical applicants have to put themselves through. Sorry.
Original post by Swansea Medic
You aren't allowed any drink. You will be chained to your desk on arrival. Your bathroom will be a she-wee that will be attached to you with tape. You can opt for catheterisation if you wish. This is all to test you under pressure hence no one speaks about it, but I feel the public has a right to know about the torture medical applicants have to put themselves through. Sorry.

Also note, if you do opt for the catheterization then you must place your own in.

This will be assessed and sent to the medical schools (the results, not the catheter).

Good luck! (Yes of course you can take water)

Posted from TSR Mobile
My interview is next Wednesday and I'm at the point now where I am frantically pressing the big red panick button! There are two 20 minute panel interviews - what are the differences between these two interviews? Is it just the personal or will there be specific topics covered in the different interviews? Secondly, at the open day, current students said the exam that is sat is a single best answer exam that is looking at your thought process and is not something that can be revised for - is this correct? Or is there something I can do? Thanks in advance

Read the thread :rolleyes:

It's not an SBA, that's what you get once you're in :frown:
But it'll look at your thought processes.
I might be there (very) early morning to calm you guys down. Loads will be on placement there too, grab one of us if you're nervous!
Read the thread :rolleyes:

It's not an SBA, that's what you get once you're in :frown:
But it'll look at your thought processes.
I might be there (very) early morning to calm you guys down. Loads will be on placement there too, grab one of us if you're nervous!

with a shot of whiskey at the ready? :wink:
Reply 467

I'm so glad you didn't mention the lunchtime DRE for all candidates caught breathing during section 2.
Reply 468

You're unlikely to get any further information from other applicants as it'll give you an advantage over those who have sat interviews already.

My advice:

- Don't panic

- No honestly, don't panic. The interview at Swansea is really chill.

- Don't memorise perfect answers (you'll get caught out) but instead have a good think about the questions you're likely to be asked and what things you might want to talk about.

Good luck 🙂
Original post by leinad
I'm so glad you didn't mention the lunchtime DRE for all candidates caught breathing during section 2.

Little known fact, the guys administering this are actually SGUL Medics. It's early preparation for the interview there.
Original post by Dr.Pharm
with a shot of whiskey at the ready? :wink:

Absinthe and brownies, spare chinos for those that forget! :wink:
Not necessarily 'bad things'

Out of curiosity, what do you work as? :smile:

Hahaha- you were the one that said "bad things"

I'm a pharmaceutical and laboratory account manager :smile:
Great to meet so many of you this week! Obviously I can't say anything, but some of you are in for a pleasant surprise in a few weeks time :smile:

In the meantime, as some of you asked about HCPs, here's a quick blog: https://www.themedicportal.com/school/swansea-university-school-of-medicine/

This is a 3rd year former nurse, we have plenty of other HCPs on the course too including pharmacists, paramedics, physiotherapists etc...

Looking forward to the final week :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Great to meet so many of you this week! Obviously I can't say anything, but some of you are in for a pleasant surprise in a few weeks time :smile:

In the meantime, as some of you asked about HCPs, here's a quick blog: https://www.themedicportal.com/school/swansea-university-school-of-medicine/

This is a 3rd year former nurse, we have plenty of other HCPs on the course too including pharmacists, paramedics, physiotherapists etc...

Looking forward to the final week :biggrin:

So does that mean having an interview later on is a disadvantage if they have already decided about offers?!?🙄
Maybe that's an advantage to MMI's, at least it's ranked and judged at the end.
Original post by Dr.Pharm
So does that mean having an interview later on is a disadvantage if they have already decided about offers?!?🙄
Maybe that's an advantage to MMI's, at least it's ranked and judged at the end.

There's no advantage at all to doing it early or late. You're all marked to the same criteria. Just some people do so amazingly that they score WELL above the predicted offer cutoff.

The final cutoff isn't decided till all interviews are over though so if everyone's superb next week, it'll go even higher.

Don't worry :smile:

PS: No offers will be made till all interviews are over and all moderation is complete! This is the same with MMIs...you're scored on the day and a rank list is built up as more and more get interviewed.
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't pay much attention to all the nice things people said about Swansea - but after attending the interview it is DEFINITELY IMPRESSIVE! It went from number 3 on my list to borderline number 1. I also think the way they interview you is the best - I found myself confessing weaknesses even before they could ask me about it. Now I feel like they know me as a person rather than just applicant number 62736283.
Do we know how much weight is given to your GAMSAT result after interview? Just wondering if most of the decision at that stage is based on your interview performance. I obviously passed GAMSAT requirements but not by a massive amount so worried it might hinder me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Do we know how much weight is given to your GAMSAT result after interview? Just wondering if most of the decision at that stage is based on your interview performance. I obviously passed GAMSAT requirements but not by a massive amount so worried it might hinder me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said on the day it's just your interview performance for offers, but I'm not sure if it's different for those on the waiting list.
Original post by Themightylaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 479
Yeh I think that's right :smile: They said to our group that it's solely on interview performance and everyone is on a level footing when they go into interview regardless of degree level or GAMSAT score.. but then if you're on the waiting list then you are ranked on GAMSAT score. I'm pretty sure that's what they said anyway!

[EDIT: totally false second half of info sorryyyyyyy. Totally misplaced confidence there ha!]
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending