Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

UCAS Disabilty question

    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I'm looking to apply for medicine this year and I was filling out my UCAS the other day and I found a question about disabilities. I expected to put nothing, however on the list it had "mental health issues- eg. Depression, anxiety", I have been seeing CAMHS ( soon to be discharged due to age) and have been prescribed fluoxetine . Do I have to declare this, it doesn't really affect my studies and hopefully by the time I go to uni next year I won't be taking them anymore, but I just don't know what to do I don't wan t to get in trouble or have my application discredited either.

    The reason they ask these questions isn't to catch you out, declaring your issue won't get you in trouble or discredit your application. The point is actually to help you, as if they are aware that you have had/have an issue they can offer support, and it is good to have it on your record in case it causes you problems again in the future so they are already aware and it doesn't come out of the blue if you need to ask for mitigating circumstances. It's in your best interest to declare your condition; and it is also best to be honest about it just as any doctor would have a duty to declare any mental health problem and seek support in order to carry on practicing safely, medical students too have a similar requirement for fitness to practice.
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.