The Student Room Group

Help with university choices!

Hey

i'm planning to do a straight economics BSc preferably if not BA, and would most likely apply to sandwich courses in economics, e.g. Economics and Management, Economics and Finance.

I'm applying to
University of Leicester - Economics (BSc)

Nottingham Trent - Economics with Placement/Year abroad (BA)

De Montfort University - Economics (BA)

Coventry University - Economics with placement (BA)

University of Bristol - Economics and Management (BSc)

I was wondering which university would be best for my firm and assurance, assuming I get all 5 offers.

At the moment my mind is set to put Bristol as my firm, if i get an offer from them, and not sure about my insurance? However if i get declined from Bristol and receive the other 4 I have no idea where I wanna go?

Predicted Grades: Dinstinction*/Distinction*/A in maths

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by bhfn
Hey

i'm planning to do a straight economics BSc preferably if not BA, and would most likely apply to sandwich courses in economics, e.g. Economics and Management, Economics and Finance.

I'm applying to

I was wondering which university would be best for my firm and assurance, assuming I get all 5 offers.

At the moment my mind is set to put Bristol as my firm, if i get an offer from them, and not sure about my insurance? However if i get declined from Bristol and receive the other 4 I have no idea where I wanna go?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely Bristol as the firm, and if it was me, I would put Leicester as the insurance.*
Reply 2
Original post by Film
Definitely Bristol as the firm, and if it was me, I would put Leicester as the insurance.*

Yeah, most likely, if I was to be rejected from Bristol what would you then put as your choices, if you was in my situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Leicester firm and Coventry insurance*
Original post by bhfn
Hey

I'm applying to

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand from someone who works at Leicester that they were exceedingly generous this year.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
I understand from someone who works at Leicester that they were exceedingly generous this year.

I went to the open day and yeah that's what one of lecturers said as well, they were taking people with BBB as well.
Original post by bhfn
I went to the open day and yeah that's what one of lecturers said as well, they were taking people with BBB as well.

Even lower for some courses.
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Even lower for some courses.

Ah right, that's surprised me to be honest. I enjoyed Leicester, I think it has a great city as well, will probably put as my insurance, if I receive an offer from Bristol, if not Leicester will probably end up being my firm.
Original post by bhfn
Hey

I'm applying to

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what your grades are equivalent in a level terms but if you're aiming at Bristol why are you applying to the other universities? I'd expect you could do much better than those ones listed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by mizzsnazzter
I'm not sure what your grades are equivalent in a level terms but if you're aiming at Bristol why are you applying to the other universities? I'd expect you could do much better than those ones listed

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was thinking pretty much the same.

Any reason why you are not considering maybe Warwick, Nottingham or Loughborough. That is assuming that D* is the equivalent of A*.

Of the universities you have chosen Bristol is the stand out uni.
Reply 10
Original post by nutz99
I was thinking pretty much the same.

Any reason why you are not considering maybe Warwick, Nottingham or Loughborough. That is assuming that D* is the equivalent of A*.

Of the universities you have chosen Bristol is the stand out uni.

I'm not so sure to be honest, I guess I have had a look, but i'm looking at the fact if I don't manage to get an A i'll be forced to probably go through clearing which isn't ideal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by bhfn
I'm not so sure to be honest, I guess I have had a look, but i'm looking at the fact if I don't manage to get an A i'll be forced to probably go through clearing which isn't ideal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone I know did that. Pick the uni that you want to get into with your predicted grades as your firm and one that is an OK uni but with lower requirements as your insurance. Makes sense if you are not confident about getting your predicted grades.
Reply 12
Original post by nutz99
Someone I know did that. Pick the uni that you want to get into with your predicted grades as your firm and one that is an OK uni but with lower requirements as your insurance. Makes sense if you are not confident about getting your predicted grades.

Did they end up getting in the firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your equivalent grades as A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by bhfn
Did they end up getting in the firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, enjoying life in Liverpool.
Reply 15
What are your equivalent grades as A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well according to the UCAS tariff my predicted grades would be A*A*A
Original post by bhfn
Well according to the UCAS tariff my predicted grades would be A*A*A

Ok so deffo not those uni then!!

Try 3 of: Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Bath, Warwick

Then pick 2 safer choices: Southampton, Manchester, Liverpool

Deffo don't undersell yourself if you're capable.. you'll always regret it if you do! Best of luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Ok so deffo not those uni then!!

Try 3 of: Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Bath, Warwick

Then pick 2 safer choices: Southampton, Manchester, Liverpool

Deffo don't undersell yourself if you're capable.. you'll always regret it if you do! Best of luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

I'll take a look at them all and re consider my choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending