Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

2 Student Accounts? Legal or not?

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I applied for a HSBC student account around a month ago and have had no news from them at all so I assumed I got rejected. Couple days later I applied for Santanders 123 student account and I was successful but literally a month later, I had an email last night congratulating me on getting into university and that my student debit card should be on its way (by HSBC). I was wondering if this is illegal as I don't think you're allowed to have 2 student accounts (I checked the terms and conditions for HSBC and it says nothing about having only 1 student account)

Bit confused, any advice?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curryman98)
    Hi so I applied for a HSBC student account around a month ago and have had no news from them at all so I assumed I got rejected. Couple days later I applied for Santanders 123 student account and I was successful but literally a month later, I had an email last night congratulating me on getting into university and that my student debit card should be on its way (by HSBC). I was wondering if this is illegal as I don't think you're allowed to have 2 student accounts (I checked the terms and conditions for HSBC and it says nothing about having only 1 student account)

Bit confused, any advice?
    thanks
    I dont think its breaking the law per say, could be a breach of contract and doing your credit rating harm so get rid of the one that you dont want to keep.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't allowed two but it is in the contract (Definitely in Santander's at least). It will be obvious since student accounts require the loan payments to come into them, and you can obviously only input one. Ask whichever you don't want to close it again, and destroy all cards / pin etc.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I think its best for me to close the HSBC one but could I use the freebies and then close the account? (free 60 quid giftcard )

ReputationRep:
    If you opened them you signed a contract. They will probably ask for all the repayments on your "free gifts" if you close them. You only got them because you agreed to stay with them long term. It's like a phone contract - might be for two years but getting out early still means paying the phone off.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.