Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Morning everyone!

I’m going to be taking Biomedical Sciences and want to go to a university that is IBMS accredited and has a sandwich year (so 4 years in total).

I’ve been looking through various websites to try and make up my mind for the top 5 I will be applying for. So far I have gotten my list down to 10. Possibly 7. Some of the universities include; University of East London, Oxford Brookes, Kingston, Essex, De montford, Northumbria, Lincoln, Coventry, Bedfordshire and Salford.

If I was to firm anyone of them it would probably be UEL. I like the facilities and support they seem to appear to offer such as scholarships for sport (which I love playing although not competitively – just with friends and family), and scholarships to those who volunteer and would like to continue doing so. However, from some old posts I seem to get the impression that UEL doesn’t have a great reputation; although, reputation isn’t everything.

So I would like to get your opinion of what you think of the about Oxford Brookes Uni; what your experience has been like so far, what the employment is like, the type of environment etc...

This question applies to everyone who is/ has studied there, whether you are taking biomedical sciences or not....

Any information is valuable enough for me, has I may be unable to visit the uni myself on the open days, too far away and expensive.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRosesBloom)
    Morning everyone!

I’m going to be taking Biomedical Sciences and want to go to a university that is IBMS accredited and has a sandwich year (so 4 years in total).

I’ve been looking through various websites to try and make up my mind for the top 5 I will be applying for. So far I have gotten my list down to 10. Possibly 7. Some of the universities include; University of East London, Oxford Brookes, Kingston, Essex, De montford, Northumbria, Lincoln, Coventry, Bedfordshire and Salford.

If I was to firm anyone of them it would probably be UEL. I like the facilities and support they seem to appear to offer such as scholarships for sport (which I love playing although not competitively – just with friends and family), and scholarships to those who volunteer and would like to continue doing so. However, from some old posts I seem to get the impression that UEL doesn’t have a great reputation; although, reputation isn’t everything.

So I would like to get your opinion of what you think of the about Oxford Brookes Uni; what your experience has been like so far, what the employment is like, the type of environment etc...

This question applies to everyone who is/ has studied there, whether you are taking biomedical sciences or not....

Any information is valuable enough for me, has I may be unable to visit the uni myself on the open days, too far away and expensive.

Hi,

Even though I am obviously biased towards Brookes I thought that you might want to know my opinion!

My top two choices way back in 2012 were Reading and Oxford Brookes. I didn't get into Reading and I was gutted at the time, but I honestly could not have been happier to be at Brookes. I did my undergraduate degree in English with Communication, Media and Culture and now I'm working full time at the Uni in the Communications Department.

The Uni offers loads of student jobs - working as an ambassador, mentor, tutor, in bars and restaurants, sports centre. There are also so many hospitals in Oxford - a short walk/cycle from our main site and since you are studying Biomedical Science, that might work out well for you during your studies or once you have graduated.

Oxford is a lovely place to live and study, there are so many great restaurants, bars, old fashioned pubs and clubs. Basically whatever sort of night you are after, Oxford can provide!

I hope this helps a bit,

All the best,

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
    Hi,

Even though I am obviously biased towards Brookes I thought that you might want to know my opinion!

My top two choices way back in 2012 were Reading and Oxford Brookes. I didn't get into Reading and I was gutted at the time, but I honestly could not have been happier to be at Brookes. I did my undergraduate degree in English with Communication, Media and Culture and now I'm working full time at the Uni in the Communications Department.

The Uni offers loads of student jobs - working as an ambassador, mentor, tutor, in bars and restaurants, sports centre. There are also so many hospitals in Oxford - a short walk/cycle from our main site and since you are studying Biomedical Science, that might work out well for you during your studies or once you have graduated.

Oxford is a lovely place to live and study, there are so many great restaurants, bars, old fashioned pubs and clubs. Basically whatever sort of night you are after, Oxford can provide!

I hope this helps a bit,

All the best,

Sophie
    Sounds great. Thank you for the reply Sophie.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRosesBloom)
    Sounds great. Thank you for the reply Sophie.
    No probs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.