Songs that help you through Dark Times

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I dont know about anyone else, but through my life and especially through my dips in my mood and throughout hospital admissions music was very important to me. It gave me life and inspiration.. A few songs i can thing of off the top of my head woul be:
    I Wanna Get Better- The Bleachers
    Hold On to What You Believe- Mumford and Sons
    Shake it Out -Florence and the Machine
    And a lot of Eminem music at times

Please do share, Id love to hear some great songs, whatever genre. Although I dont like heavy metal or screamo, but share anyway! This is for sure not just for me

ReputationRep:
    This is a great idea for a thread music is one of the things that has always helped me both during my worst times and down days. My favourite bands are Joy Division and Simon and Garfunkel and they helped a lot as well other bands and artists

Some songs that have helped me are -

Simon and Garfunkel - Sound of Silence

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Trouble Water

Simon and Garfunkel - April She Will Come

John Denver - Sunshine On My Shoulders

Kells Clarkson - Stronger (never hurts to have some cheery upbeat pop )

Labi Siffre - Something Inside So Strong

Dolly Parton - Stairway to Heaven

Elton John - I'm Still Standing

Whitney Houston - I Didn't Know My Own Strength

Feeder - Just The Way I'm Feeling

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (I've chosen that to be the song that I walk down the aisle too a piper will be playing it )

And probably a million other songs but those are the ones that stand out for me
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Darude Sandstorm

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I find listening to sad music helps me let it all out then I feel like I can move. Mad world - Gary Jules prime example. Oh and 'How to save a life' - The Fray

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I love this song. (It's a short ver)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Anything from The White Stripes. For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOS00ttAblQ

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrHefoJA_Cc

ReputationRep:
    One dance
    Hotline bling
    Energy
    Shake it off
    Can't feel my face
    The hills
    Me myself and I

ReputationRep:
    Sia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beehall)
    Hello,
    I dont know about anyone else, but through my life and especially through my dips in my mood and throughout hospital admissions music was very important to me. It gave me life and inspiration.. A few songs i can thing of off the top of my head woul be:

Please do share, Id love to hear some great songs, whatever genre. Although I dont like heavy metal/screamo, but share anyway! This is for sure not just for me
    Heavy Metal is not to be confused with Screamo! Please check out some Classic Metal Bands for thr benefit of your musical education- heres some known ones to start you off
    (Black Sabbath-Paranoid Iron Maiden- Run to the hills, Motorhead the ace of spades!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snazzyzebra)
    Heavy Metal is not to be confused with Screamo! Please check out some Classic Metal Bands for thr benefit of your musical education- heres some known ones to start you off
    (Black Sabbath-Paranoid Iron Maiden- Run to the hills, Motorhead the ace of spades!)
    Oh please do not get me wrong, I think my punctuation gives off the wrong impression for sure. I am familiar with such bands, my brother has seen Iron Maiden live twice i believe and we regularly could hear him singing some of their songs, certainly not screamo. The other two bands too! Sorry. I just meant heavy metal & screamo are just both genres I do not find I enjoy listening to. I didnt mean to link them as the same ahaha Sorry
    I also watched the film Flight 666, or something like that, a few years back

ReputationRep:
    S Club 7 works a treat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil fever)
    Sia

How did you include the video? And I listened and i like the lyrics Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Please do share, Id love to hear some great songs, whatever genre. Although I dont like heavy metal/screamo, but share anyway! This is for sure not just for me
    I'm glad you made this thread- it seems very original! Music has been very inspirational to me, especially when I was going through a rough patch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Sometimes I find listening to sad music helps me let it all out then I feel like I can move. Mad world - Gary Jules prime example. Oh and 'How to save a life' - The Fray
    "How to save a life" is an amazing song!

ReputationRep:
    How did you include the video? And I listened and i like the lyrics Thank you!
    np
    to include the video,do u know near ur spoiler icon there's this mini sign that looks like the youtube sign?when u pres it u have to copy paste the url into it and then press insert.It's basically the 2nd last sign on the blue bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    I'm glad you made this thread- it seems very original! Music has been very inspirational to me, especially when I was going through a rough patch
    It may sound weird but some days having the ability to listen to a song I recently discovered gives me a reason to keep me going. They are great for grounding as well, if I ever have flashbacks sometimes playing songs im very familiar with help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil fever)
    np
    to include the video,do u know near ur spoiler icon there's this mini sign that looks like the youtube sign?when u pres it u have to copy paste the url into it and then press insert.It's basically the 2nd last sign on the blue bar.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8twpQTna_9w
    Thankyou
    Is it there? If it is, this song I found whilst in a hospital and it got me through some good times. It was also a handy song to play to my mum who heard the chorus and was like YAY

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.