The Student Room Group

I got 13 A* at GCSE: AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by honour
How long did you usually revise a day?

I was really bad at following revision timetables...so I'm afraid I can't really answer this for sure because there is a huge difference in what I planned, what I "did", and what I ACTUALLY did...

It will differ for everyone. I'm afraid there's no fixed rule but you NEED to find the right balance between what you will actually do, and what you need. To low you won't fulfil the latter, too high you'll inevitably procrastinate. Honestly change it up a bit until you find that sweet spot.
Original post by KnowsNothing
I was really bad at following revision timetables...so I'm afraid I can't really answer this for sure because there is a huge difference in what I planned, what I "did", and what I ACTUALLY did...

It will differ for everyone. I'm afraid there's no fixed rule but you NEED to find the right balance between what you will actually do, and what you need. To low you won't fulfil the latter, too high you'll inevitably procrastinate. Honestly change it up a bit until you find that sweet spot.

Okay, so you didn't really answer that question. How about 'what are you taking for your A Levels?'
What gcse's did you take?
Reply 23
Original post by honour
Okay, so you didn't really answer that question. How about 'what are you taking for your A Levels?'

Would have loved to answer it but I'm afraid I honestly couldn't. Any number or average would have been a total lie or a total guess. If you were looking for advice, any number is pointless because it will be different for everyone.

A-levels I'm doing history, economics, maths and politics
Would have loved to answer it but I'm afraid I honestly couldn't. Any number or average would have been a total lie or a total guess. If you were looking for advice, any number is pointless because it will be different for everyone.

A-levels I'm doing history, economics, maths and politics

How did you pick your a levels and why?
Were there any subjects you struggled with a bit and needed to revise more? Did you know you were going to get 13a* or was this a complete shock for you (the results)?
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous1502
Were there any subjects you struggled with a bit and needed to revise more? Did you know you were going to get 13a* or was this a complete shock for you (the results)?

Results were a bit of a surprise, not necessarily hugely shocking but I didn't think I'd get it tbh. At first I actually got 12 A*s and an A and it was in getting a successful remark that was the biggest shock.

I most definitely revised certain subjects a lot more. Further maths I got a D in the end of year 10 exams so that took quite a bit of practice. The sciences I was prone to making stupid errors in so I practised a lot more. Specific parts in specific subjects I also looked at a lot more (geography case studies, English quotes etc)

Basically one of my biggest strengths as far as revision was self awareness. It seriously makes a huge difference and making sure you know your progress, strengths and weaknesses in each subjects makes your revision efficient. I did little revision for subjects I was good at and that's what allowed me to get good grades in my weaker subjects. That would almost certainly be in my top 3 tips for exam success.
Results were a bit of a surprise, not necessarily hugely shocking but I didn't think I'd get it tbh. At first I actually got 12 A*s and an A and it was in getting a successful remark that was the biggest shock.

I most definitely revised certain subjects a lot more. Further maths I got a D in the end of year 10 exams so that took quite a bit of practice. The sciences I was prone to making stupid errors in so I practised a lot more. Specific parts in specific subjects I also looked at a lot more (geography case studies, English quotes etc)

Basically one of my biggest strengths as far as revision was self awareness. It seriously makes a huge difference and making sure you know your progress, strengths and weaknesses in each subjects makes your revision efficient. I did little revision for subjects I was good at and that's what allowed me to get good grades in my weaker subjects. That would almost certainly be in my top 3 tips for exam success.

When did you start revising for your gcse's?
Reply 28
You did Further maths. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the only F.Maths it's possible to get an A* in is AQA, but in AQA you can get A*^ (A grade better than an A*) did you get an A*^ and simply just put it down as an A* or did you did you miss out on the A*^? Or did you do a completely different exam board which had an available A* but no A*^?
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous1502
When did you start revising for your gcse's?

Oooh this question. I get asked this all the time and it's very hard to answer because I never properly got into a consistent GCSE revision schedule (I was terrible at following timetables).

I would say I got into a "revision mindset"...maybe from around March or February? I personally don't think "when" is the important question, more about how.

You can revise from a year before, but poor quality revision will always be poor quality revision. It also depends on how much revision you need to do personally. Best thing is to start gradually from early on (october, november time like 30 mins a day) then work up slowly depending on how behind you feel.
Maths (because I also did further maths), was actually a subject I did quite a bit of revision for. But the best thing no doubt is past papers.

Learn how to do stuff through specimen papers/practice worksheets and notes. Save your past papers though and then do as many as you can. In the one week I had two f. maths past papers, I did 17 papers.

It really helps because you become faster at questions, know what you're going to get, become a lot more familiar but most of all you avoid stupid little mistakes. I'm awful at these, and would always cost myself tons of marks for the silliest little things. Types of questions always have bits intended to trick you (negative signs, certain fractions used etc) and understanding this pattern is great.

Throughout the year, a little bit of practice helps but I'm not going to pretend I did that.

As for English...I had a burning passion for English so I didn't do a lot of revision. But KNOW HOW TO ANSWER AN UNSEEN TEXT. Understand the mark scheme, understand what they are looking for and in lessons, pay attention more to this than actual themes or contexts of whatever you are studying. This is the most transferable skill from English and I barely looked at any of my anthology texts, but I knew how to do this.

PEEL paragraphs (point, evidence, explanation, link) or whatever you do at your school, keep this in mind. Strategy for answering these questions you can use in a lot of other exams and that will make up for a lack of revision elsewhere. I crammed all the quotes I needed the day before (our lit was closed book), and it was unseen practice that gave me the A*.

Really with English the "how" matters more than anything else. Lang and lit need different skills. Obviously you should revise ideas and stuff but I didn't, most people don't because imo English is really really dull. But yeah, technique matters more especially unseen techniques which will make up for revision.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much! :smile:
Ask me anything! Would happily give advice.

Ant or Dec ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by RossB1702

Stephen Mulhern
What would be your advice to a person in year 10? plus any tips on Geography. p.s Well done, good luck in your A-levels
Ask me anything! Would happily give advice.

Which grammar school did you go to if you don't mind revealing if you do mind ti is ok.Also do grammar schools make any difference from normal schools?
How did you have the motivation? Honestly most days I just cba, but I need to work; otherwise it's another day wasted and another day closer to my GCSE's.
At the moment I am achieving 5,5,6,6,7,7,7,8,8 but at the end I want 10 7/8's.

How did you revise for the sciences? Yeah, those are the 6,6. Atm for science I am just working my way through the relevant textbooks. (Double sci.)

Maths? I can't even. Got a 5, need at the least a 6, want a 7. I've got a tutor and that is helping but how else can I get the 7?

In the future I want to study History or Law at a Russel Group uni, and am probably taking Law, History and English at A- Level.

I am in Year 10, starting year 11 in September. It's getting closer!

Please, please help me! Thanks dude. :-)
Reply 36
Original post by realhotnsweaty
So you are looking to be a parasite on society - because that seems to be the number one "career" of PPE grads. Most seem to be aiming to be MPs or party apparatchiks and never do a days work in their lives.

What is it with people in the student room thinking they have a right to insult other peoples career choices?? Get yo toxic ass off a constructive thread pfft

Quick Reply

Latest