Highest paying careers for Computer Sci after graduating?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Literally the title

ReputationRep:
    investment banking

ReputationRep:
    Software engineering at the big 4 (Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon) pays well, especially if you transfer to the US after a year in which case earning megabucks with a ridiculous amount of benefits is standard, however these are highly competitive for obvious reasons and only take the best of the best. The most highly desired and well compensated is probably Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CloakedSpartan)
    Software engineering at the big 4 (Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon) pays well, especially if you transfer to the US after a year in which case earning megabucks with a ridiculous amount of benefits is standard, however these are highly competitive for obvious reasons and only take the best of the best. The most highly desired and well compensated is probably Google.
    Yeah it would be really amazing to work at google, but its very hard to get into it, isnt it? As well as the other big companies.

ReputationRep:
    This website will help you look at current salaries.

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/salary-check...ary-calculator

It's important to find something you love, otherwise you become a highly paid slave.
    As well as the salary you have to think about your disposable income after paying commuting and housing costs.

If a large company pays you very well, they expect a lot of commitment.
    How would you feel if you have to respond to phone calls and emails in the middle of the night or while you're on holiday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st*r)
    This website will help you look at current salaries.

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/salary-check...ary-calculator

It's important to find something you love, otherwise you become a highly paid slave.
    As well as the salary you have to think about your disposable income after paying commuting and housing costs.

If a large company pays you very well, they expect a lot of commitment.
    How would you feel if you have to respond to phone calls and emails in the middle of the night or while you're on holiday?
    Yeah good point tbh...also is that site reliable for salaries? I've noticed inconstancies between this site and pay scale. Clever username btw :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JorahMormont)
    Yeah good point tbh...also is that site reliable for salaries? I've noticed inconstancies between this site and pay scale. Clever username btw :P
    The salaries are about right.
    If you delve in and look at different jobs in different locations you will get a better idea.

I was surprised my user name was valid.
    At least I didn't use this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st*r)
    The salaries are about right.
    If you delve in and look at different jobs in different locations you will get a better idea.

I was surprised my user name was valid.
    At least I didn't use this one.

Mind if I ask what you're doing right now? Are you in uni studying Computer Sci or do you have a job etc? If you are at uni, what uni is it and what did you get at college?

ReputationRep:
    Mind if I ask what you're doing right now? Are you in uni studying Computer Sci or do you have a job etc? If you are at uni, what uni is it and what did you get at college?
    I've just started doing Computer Science at DMU as a mature student,
    I worked many years doing "IT" and I want to move into development.

Without a good degree, it's difficult to get past the recruitment / HR gatekeepers and be noticed by hiring manager.

I've done many interesting things. but I keep hitting a glass ceiling at about £30K.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st*r)
    I've just started doing Computer Science at DMU as a mature student,
    I worked many years doing "IT" and I want to move into development.

Without a good degree, it's difficult to get past the recruitment / HR gatekeepers and be noticed by hiring manager.

I've done many interesting things. but I keep hitting a glass ceiling at about £30K.
    So what job did you work as? IT Consultant? And what are you looking to be now? A Software Engineer? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So what job did you work as? IT Consultant? And what are you looking to be now? A Software Engineer? Thanks
    Have you considered doing computer engineering ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

I worked my up from doing general IT, field service, large projects and then consultancy. My ambition was to do consultancy until I was doing it.

At the moment I'm thinking of doing embedded systems or IOT when I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st*r)
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

I worked my up from doing general IT, field service, large projects and then consultancy. My ambition was to do consultancy until I was doing it.

At the moment I'm thinking of doing embedded systems or IOT when I graduate.
    What made you stop wanting to do Consultancy? My plan is either IT or Computer Sci, however IT Constants have a higher salary than Software Engineers and the job seems to be more social/fun. What made you want to stop doing it? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    Have you considered doing computer engineering ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, is that course I do at uni or is it a job?

ReputationRep:
    Software engineeri at a big technology firm like Google, Amazon, Microsoft etc...
    Or maybe investment banking or trading or tech roles at an investment bank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    investment banking
    Nah, tech is the new finance mate. The top grades no longer head to banking but to tech where they can work 40-50 hours instead of 80 and still make £60-70k starting comp, going up to £500k+. Banking and trading will be giving you £100k in the future once the algorithms take control.

ReputationRep:
    No, is that course I do at uni or is it a job?
    Yes. In my uni there's computer engineering, computer science and information technology.

information technology has two streams; software development and business analysis

we all do coding excluding the IT; business analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it would be really amazing to work at google, but its very hard to get into it, isnt it? As well as the other big companies.
    The highest paying positions are the hardest to get into. That's how things work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CloakedSpartan)
    Nah, It would be a pre-IPO large startup like Uber/Snapchat. SC paid ~$300-400k over 4 years in pre-IPO (i.e. you can't sell them easily) RSUs to new grads last year.

In terms of very liquid comp however, yes, Google/FB/Netflix (tho netflix only hires senior professionals) would be the best alongside the HFT/prop trading shops.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I mean if you ask for the highest paying career/job you better be ready for the levels of competition involved in attaining the job. Otherwise, you'll have to settle for pretty average pay...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.