The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I;ve had it for 4 and a bit years (I'm 21 now). I've neever had a problem with it (apart from nearly dying before diagnosis :wink:). Generally good readings within the normal range, hba1c test results usually 7 or below. I have been on 4 injections a day for about 2 years now. Fine tuning the dose for each meal is great, it's just having to inject yourself before you eat is rather annoying, especially if you're frequently eating out (as many students are).

I feel very healthy, and don't notice any effects on the illness, bar some late-night hypos that tend to be a bit of a problem for the basal/bolus regime. Any questions feel free :smile:
her-own-wings

I find my weight the hardest.. when I was diagnosed I lost a stone in 2 weeks.

same here. i lost about 2 1/2 stone, and because i'm pretty tall (5'8) it looked reeeeeally unhealthy and people bitched about me being anorexic. thing is i've not really put the weight back on. i guess i eat a bit more healthy now and exercise. i put a stone back on since i was diagnosed and thats fine with me.

the only time i dont do my insulin is if i forget or if it hurts. does it hurt when you inject? i can rarely do it on my thighs because it hurts soo bad so i do it in my arms mostly. i think my skin is just fed up lol and doesn't want to be stabbed anymore.

i'm sorry that you've had a tough time with your diabetes and i can really empathise with you. its always good to talk about it and i hope i can help in some way :smile:
LaBellaVita
the only time i dont do my insulin is if i forget or if it hurts. does it hurt when you inject? i can rarely do it on my thighs because it hurts soo bad so i do it in my arms mostly. i think my skin is just fed up lol and doesn't want to be stabbed anymore.

i'm sorry that you've had a tough time with your diabetes and i can really empathise with you. its always good to talk about it and i hope i can help in some way :smile:

I can understand this.

Firstly, I have an insane phobia of jabs because of my diabetes (I had absolutely no problems before I was diagnosed) just because I know what is coming and I know it is going to hurt.

Secondly, the 2 occasions when I gave up injecting was because I was fed up and couldn't cope any more. To me it is no life if you have to deliberately hurt yourself just to stay alive. 9 years of daily jabs was just too much.
Reply 23
So its not worth injecting yourself everyday to live?
:dito: They are going to bring out insulin inhalers for diabetics anyway so you don't have to keep injecting yourselves.
goodLife
So its not worth injecting yourself everyday to live?

If that was aimed at my post, it was actually far more complicated. But the jist of what I was thinking was pretty much that I would rather die than carry on injecting.
Reply 26
AverageGuyOnTheStreet
If that was aimed at my post, it was actually far more complicated. But the jist of what I was thinking was pretty much that I would rather die than carry on injecting.

ok, I can sympathise I have some fairly complicated thoughts too lol. 2 years ago I didn't like life because I wasn't breast fed as a baby lol (didn't think I was as healthy as I would have been:rolleyes: ), it was actually threads posted on this forum that about others worrying about it too that provoked it lol!
AverageGuyOnTheStreet
I can understand this.

Firstly, I have an insane phobia of jabs because of my diabetes (I had absolutely no problems before I was diagnosed) just because I know what is coming and I know it is going to hurt.

Secondly, the 2 occasions when I gave up injecting was because I was fed up and couldn't cope any more. To me it is no life if you have to deliberately hurt yourself just to stay alive. 9 years of daily jabs was just too much.

I have a total phobia of needles too, and was really struggling to cope with injections until I got the novopen PenMate. I found it really great as I found it impossible to inject with an ordinary needle. I was old it passes the pain threshold quickly too. I don't find injections sore at all most of the time.
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_368.htm
LaBellaVita

I can never inject in my thighs. Well not on the top of them (don't know what u call that part!) but I inject on the sides. I'm not sure if you're meant to or not but it doesn't seem as sore. I've just started injecting in my *** which isn't the best either - I do it cos I'm running out of space and no-one (or nearly no-one!) will see any bruises.

I don't inject into my tummy much any more as it's mostly hard :frown: I put in the needle but it just won't push down, as the bits that have gone lumpy and the insulin will just NOT go in.
Reply 29
My dad's had it since he was 15 and he's 60 now and still going strong. His control has got a lot better over the past few years with the advances in insulin technology and is in good health with better than average blood work and fitness than many non-diabetics his age. He used to go hypo quite a lot when I was younger which was very hard and very dangerous at times especially when he was driving. He used to refuse to eat when in these hypoglaecemic states that always perpetuated the situation (it must be a pschosomatic reaction to when he was young and the then medical opinion was that all sugary things should be treated as poison - so that was the reaction he used to give). Now the hypos are much easier to spot and they usually come on more slowly - before it was a case of him being fine one minute and almost comatose the next.

The main thing really is that he eats really healthily with all the right sorts of complex carbohydrates mixed with appropriate proteins to bind to them, takes quite a bit of exercise (rides his bike everywhere), monitors his blood religiously, and generally looks after himself healthwise.
Reply 30
I'd love to talk to any of you guys - I think having some people that are going through the same thing as me (whether coping or not) will do me some good.. it's just about accepting that it's mine, I guess. To the person said 'So it's not worth injecting yourself everyday to live?' ...diabetes can be REALLY depressing, you will never truly know to what extent unless you have it yourself. It is a disease that you're stuck with for your whole life and knowing that fact at such a young age is bloody awful. It's hard to accept. I truly respect those of you that have been able to accept it.. that's my aim.

Anywho, anyone that fancies a chat.. PM me and I'll give you my msn/myspace. I think we can help eachother.
Reply 31
Sunofnight
:dito: They are going to bring out insulin inhalers for diabetics anyway so you don't have to keep injecting yourselves.

Not yet. It'll be a while before that happens.

I don't mind the injection as my pen I use it pretty pain free as are the needles. I inject into my hips. I was always told to inject where there's the most fat storage.
her-own-wings
To the person said 'So it's not worth injecting yourself everyday to live?' ...diabetes can be REALLY depressing, you will never truly know to what extent unless you have it yourself. It is a disease that you're stuck with for your whole life and knowing that fact at such a young age is bloody awful. It's hard to accept..

I second that. A year ago if someone had said to me, ' so its not worth injecting yourself everyday to live' i probably would have said what kind of 'life' is it where you completely depend on a little tube of liquid. I'm not sure what made me accept diabetes and turn around my attitude towards it. I always think of diabetes as something i control, not a disease that controls me. And her-own-wings i'd be more than happy to chat to you :smile: it was a fab idea to start this thread. should have done it sooner :smile:
Reply 33
LaBellaVita
I second that. A year ago if someone had said to me, ' so its not worth injecting yourself everyday to live' i probably would have said what kind of 'life' is it where you completely depend on a little tube of liquid. I'm not sure what made me accept diabetes and turn around my attitude towards it. I always think of diabetes as something i control, not a disease that controls me. And her-own-wings i'd be more than happy to chat to you :smile: it was a fab idea to start this thread. should have done it sooner :smile:

That's my problem atm. I let diabetes control me, and my body. It should be the other way around.

Ace. :] I'll PM you my email. Yeah I'm glad I made this thread too!
It is a good thread. It has helped me to get some of the stuff out that I've been too scared to tell anyone else. I once tried to tell my parents about the stuff with my subconscious and they laughed at me saying it was "because I thought I was immortal" rather than recognising it as a real problem. They know that I can't cope but I would never dream of telling them how bad everything has got. They would only bring up my 2 recent (deliberate) hospital admissions and I can't actually remember what lies I told them.

I'm not sure whether it controls me (can something that is seen as nothing more than the means to commit suicide control you???), but I know I don't control it. When I'm happy I ignore it and when I'm sad I manipulate it.
Reply 35
her-own-wings
To the person said 'So it's not worth injecting yourself everyday to live?' ...diabetes can be REALLY depressing

Most people have something which gets in the way of life though, I have anxiety and think that nothing is worse because it takes over your mind and even alters your personality. I guess people naturally think that whatever they have is worse though.

As for the depending on a bottle of fluid, everyone depends on a lot of things to stay alive, food, sleep etc. If I had diabetes I don't know how Id accept it I would probably be like you and find it really hard, but Id think of it as a little extra addition that I depend on compared to everyone else. Also a possible advantage of having diabetes is that diabetics are probably healthier in certain aspects than a lot of people because you watch what you eat and exersise, whereas if you didn't have diabetes you might take this for granted and live an unhealthier lifestyle. You are probably thinking my opinion isn't worth anything becasue I don't live with it but Im just saying what I think.

I found this (advantage of diabetes) http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2006/11/01/3682.html
You might have read it all before but it might help to look on the positive side.

Averageguyonthestreet... if you have time will you explain this subconcious immortal problem you have? I don't understand it but am interested to know.:redface:
Reply 36
what do you guys do when your ill? ie. throwing up.
first time my brothers been ill last night, and even though i was giving him lucozade/ dextrose tablets and later on glucogel as i just couldnt get his blood sugar to go up.
how do you get it to go up when you cant keep anything down?
i couldn't feed him carbs as he was physically just bringing them back up, so i just kept giving him dextrose till my mum came home. should i be doing that or not?

thanks
Riddy
Averageguyonthestreet... if you have time will you explain this subconcious immortal problem you have? I don't understand it but am interested to know.:redface:

The reason I didn't explain it in detail was that I had already mentioned it earlier on the thread, but since Christmas 1999 my subconscious has been telling me to stop taking my insulin (which I did on one occasion, and another later but that was my conscious thoughts). I told my dad that this had been happening and made up some story about not doing it because I didn't want to die (well, that was true until last year) earlier this year but he didn't take it seriously and said it was because I thought I was immortal (apparently something that is common amongst teenagers). I explained that this was not the case and that I had seriously considered 'listening' (for want of a better word) on several occasions :eek: (though he doesn't know that was why I was ill at the end of last year, he thinks I had a bug - well I did but that wasn't the cause). Basically, the reason it ever got mentioned here was that I can only see one good thing in diabetes and that is the means to commit suicide.
Reply 38
AGOTS, I don't quite understand your post. So, are you not taking your insulin now? Do you feel suicidal because of your disbetes?
Laus
AGOTS, I don't quite understand your post.

Sorry, it is very complicated situation. I'm also not too great at expressing stuff, particularly the sort of stuff that gets me down, like what was in my last post.

Laus
So, are you not taking your insulin now?

Yes I am, that was in November and March.

Laus
Do you feel suicidal because of your disbetes?

Yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending