The Student Room Group

Graduate Scheme vs 'Real Job'

Hey,

I am in my last year studying Business with Financial Management and have been wondering where to go next.

I have completed 2 successful internships with a large independent wealth management company, and now thinking about a career after university.

I struggle with the psychometric testing aspect and this is what's putting me off graduate schemes, but I would love to do a graduate scheme at Standard Life or HSBC etc.

I am more than happy, if it was possible for me to enter in to a full-time job after uni and not do a graduate scheme, but don't know if this is something that is a) possible or b) recommended. What does everyone else think/recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iainm12
Hey,

I am in my last year studying Business with Financial Management and have been wondering where to go next.

I have completed 2 successful internships with a large independent wealth management company, and now thinking about a career after university.

I struggle with the psychometric testing aspect and this is what's putting me off graduate schemes, but I would love to do a graduate scheme at Standard Life or HSBC etc.

I am more than happy, if it was possible for me to enter in to a full-time job after uni and not do a graduate scheme, but don't know if this is something that is a) possible or b) recommended. What does everyone else think/recommend?

Buy Graduate Monkey. Practice psychometric tests for a week. And then go for graduate schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Commercial Paper
Buy Graduate Monkey. Practice psychometric tests for a week. And then go for graduate schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why Graduate Monkey? I usually get around 85th percentile on SHL tests but on graduate monkey's free test I only got 30th percentile. Is the free test on grad monkey SHL style?
Original post by Cronus
Why Graduate Monkey? I usually get around 85th percentile on SHL tests but on graduate monkey's free test I only got 30th percentile. Is the free test on grad monkey SHL style?

Well Graduate Monkey don't tell you what percentile you're in, they just give you a mark of what you got right.

I personally prefer them as it seems more tailored. Get their All-In-One Pack. If you go through the videos, the eBook (which is most helpful in my opinion) and then some practice tests, I can't really see how you'll still be having problems. You just need to get used to the question types / formats.

There are other providers such as Assessment Day and Job Step Prep, but Graduate Monkey is the best in my opinion. They cover Kenexa and SHL style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Well Graduate Monkey don't tell you what percentile you're in, they just give you a mark of what you got right.

I personally prefer them as it seems more tailored. Get their All-In-One Pack. If you go through the videos, the eBook (which is most helpful in my opinion) and then some practice tests, I can't really see how you'll still be having problems. You just need to get used to the question types / formats.

There are other providers such as Assessment Day and Job Step Prep, but Graduate Monkey is the best in my opinion. They cover Kenexa and SHL style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The free test told me the percentile. Does anyone know the style of the free test, whether it's SHL or what?
Original post by Cronus
The free test told me the percentile. Does anyone know the style of the free test, whether it's SHL or what?

Nah I don't know. But if you buy the pack, it has different options for the different types of tests and different walk through guides.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Nah I don't know. But if you buy the pack, it has different options for the different types of tests and different walk through guides.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't feel confident having not tried their take on the SHL test
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you passed tests for graduate schemes by using this site in the past? Definitely going to look in to it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I agree. Use graduate monkey. I also had problems with psychometric tests and never scored high enough to get to the next stage. After using it, I passed the tests :smile:. The questions they provide are very similar to the types of questions you'll get in the real test. If you're going to be applying to a few companies I would recommend getting the all-in-one package; however, if your heart is set on HSBC, it might be worth looking into what test provider they use and buying the specific package for that test provider.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Dkaurp
I agree. Use graduate monkey. I also had problems with psychometric tests and never scored high enough to get to the next stage. After using it, I passed the tests :smile:. The questions they provide are very similar to the types of questions you'll get in the real test. If you're going to be applying to a few companies I would recommend getting the all-in-one package; however, if your heart is set on HSBC, it might be worth looking into what test provider they use and buying the specific package for that test provider.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, definitely sounding worth it so will buy it and give it a try!

Was the scheme you were applying to finance related or was it something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by iainm12
That's great, definitely sounding worth it so will buy it and give it a try!

Was the scheme you were applying to finance related or was it something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, tax at PwC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iainm12
Have you passed tests for graduate schemes by using this site in the past? Definitely going to look in to it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and these were for investment banking roles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
That's great, thank you for you help and hopefully able to pass them now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iainm12
Hey,

It all depends on the employer. Bigger corporate bodies can be very different than the small companies who may not offer schemes but could be a better opportunity.
Reply 15
Original post by yourcvconsultant
It all depends on the employer. Bigger corporate bodies can be very different than the small companies who may not offer schemes but could be a better opportunity.

Is there any recommendations you would make in identifying a smaller company that may have the better opportunity? Something like looking at job descriptions and searching for key words?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iainm12
Is there any recommendations you would make in identifying a smaller company that may have the better opportunity? Something like looking at job descriptions and searching for key words?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No hard and fast rules on smaller companies. You will get a feel for them at interview stage and have a look around the building and see how the employees interact etc. Also look out for Investers In People on website or FT 100 Best Company to work for. A good smaller company should identify your recent qualifications and how they can help you progress with them.

Quick Reply

Latest