Turn on thread page Beta

Pick & Mix UK Universities II watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Pick Three on Perceived Quality, Prestige, etc.
    St Andrews
    41.84%
    Bristol
    55.10%
    Durham
    68.37%
    Warwick
    65.31%
    York
    37.76%

ReputationRep:
    Please participate in this periodic poll by selecting three options based on your impression of universities' overall quality, prestige, etc. Any comments are also welcome.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    None of the above?

ReputationRep:
    Im voting in this poll because its a poll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    None of the above?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews is dump. And in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Any reason in particular why you are posting the exact same thread you did a few weeks ago?

Also, your question is a bit unclear, 'pick three on Perceived Quality, Prestige, etc.' The three what? The three best, the three worst, the three you'd most like to go to, the three you most wish would turn into dust.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you didn't get the result you wanted last time you posted the exact same thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...15#post8656215

Seriously, why are you so obsessed with St Andrew's reputation and determined to show that it is the better than the rest of this bunch?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by PQ)
    None of the above?
    Yes, that option should have been included, really... You can vote for all of the above, though - same effect.

ReputationRep:
    all of them offer quality courses. none of them are prestigious, because "prestige" doesnt apply to universities. if it did, it would apply to oxbridge and nowhere else.

ReputationRep:
    i picked bristol, durham and warwick. no reasoning really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by db)
    Any reason in particular why you are posting the exact same thread you did a few weeks ago?

Also, your question is a bit unclear, 'pick three on Perceived Quality, Prestige, etc.' The three what? The three best, the three worst, the three you'd most like to go to, the three you most wish would turn into dust.
    1. I'm attempting to identify whether or not major rankings have any influence on the perception of quality. The universities listed in this poll seem to be widely viewed as in the top ten, but often their positions fluctuate dramatically dependant on a specific ranking's methodology. I posted the first iteration of this poll in May, just after the release of the Guardian rankings. As noted, this poll is meant to be posted periodically; this iteration was posted after the release of the Good University Guide's rankings. The point is to measure change in accordance with the ranking's fluctuations. Though there are plenty of methodological problems with this approach, it seems to be an easy and fun way to see if rankings have any immediate impact on perceptions.

2. The poll is asking for the three that you perceive to be of the highest quality, most prestigious, etc. The question seems obvious, but I apologize for any confusion.

Werty675: Too bad you had to get personal and potentially skew the results. Maybe next time you could PM your incendiary accusations before posting to the thread. Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie87)
    i picked bristol, durham and warwick. no reasoning really.
    :ditto: York is obviously very good, but just doesn't really seem to have the same prestige as the others, and St. Andrews isn't really that prestigious in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IR Postgraduate)
    1. I'm attempting to identify whether or not major rankings have any influence on the perception of quality. The universities listed in this poll seem to be widely viewed as in the top ten, but often their positions fluctuate dramatically dependant on a specific ranking's methodology. I posted the first iteration of this poll in May, just after the release of the Guardian rankings. As noted, this poll is meant to be posted periodically; this iteration was posted after the release of the Good University Guide's rankings. The point is to measure change in accordance with the ranking's fluctuations. Though there are plenty of methodological problems with this approach, it seems to be an easy and fun way to see if rankings have any immediate impact on perceptions.

2. The poll is asking for the three that you perceive to be of the highest quality, most prestigious, etc. The question seems obvious, but I apologize for any confusion.

Werty675: Too bad you had to get personal and potentially skew the results. Maybe next time you could PM your incendiary accusations before posting to the thread. Just a thought...
    It is?

It was fairly obvious in the context that you wanted the three best, that is after all what TSR is about. Ripping people's univ choices apart and/or massaging your own ego when 'your' univ comes up tops in a pointless poll.

ReputationRep:
    I will happily vote for all the universities less St Andrews.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.