Turn on thread page Beta

Will People Please Stop Saying, "There's Always Postgrad..." watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What really pisses me off is posh kids who don't get into Oxbridge for undergrad assuming they can waltz in there for postgrad.... I spoke to one girl (who went to one of the best public schools in the country) who got rejected from Oxford who just bluntly stated she'd go there postgrad. I was like "er, if you went to that school and still couldn't get in undergrad, what hope have you got for postgrad!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by instigator)
    What really pisses me off is posh kids who don't get into Oxbridge for undergrad assuming they can waltz in there for postgrad.... I spoke to one girl (who went to one of the best public schools in the country) who got rejected from Oxford who just bluntly stated she'd go there postgrad. I was like "er, if you went to that school and still couldn't get in undergrad, what hope have you got for postgrad!"
    Well I would venture that it is slightly easier for postgrad, seeing as there is no interview procedure, less competition, and no need for extra-curriculars or any of that nonsense. If you have a first and good references chances are you'll get into an Oxbridge masters (though possibly not Ox AND Bridge).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Well I would venture that it is slightly easier for postgrad, seeing as there is no interview procedure, less competition, and no need for extra-curriculars or any of that nonsense. If you have a first and good references chances are you'll get into an Oxbridge masters (though possibly not Ox AND Bridge).
    You don't need a first for most courses; 67 or thereabouts is the cut-off point unless you want to do the BCL at Oxford or some kind of maths thing at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    You don't need a first for most courses; 67 or thereabouts is the cut-off point unless you want to do the BCL at Oxford or some kind of maths thing at Cambridge.
    There you go then

Note though that a lot of courses that say they consider applicants with a 2.1 in reality will have an intake largely of people with 1st. It just means your applications isn't automatically thrown out the window.

ReputationRep:
    Erm..but isn't it true, that there always postgrad? I mean, it's a fact. The situations may differ between people, but it remains a fact, there IS always postgrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hungry_hog)
    To people that say "you should choose (lower ranked) uni x as it has a better research supervisor than Cam/Ox".
    I think this is an "eggs in one basket" strategy. If the student decides not to pursue academia they are in a dodgy position. At least with Oxbridge you have the brand to fall back on.
    You wouldn't be in a 'dodgy position'; you are talking from a position where you clearly do think Oxbridge is all anyone cares about - other universities are not just bog-standard ****holes putting their students in 'dodgy positions'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    You wouldn't be in a 'dodgy position'; you are talking from a position where you clearly do think Oxbridge is all anyone cares about - other universities are not just bog-standard ****holes putting their students in 'dodgy positions'. :rolleyes:
    The Alba, as much as I admire your effort, do remember that the majority of the people of this board have not even started at university and are therefore filled with silly preconceptions about the wonders of Oxford. The are deluding themselves, yet they deny this mere fact if you tell them that they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhartha)
    The Alba, as much as I admire your effort, do remember that the majority of the people of this board have not even started at university and are therefore filled with silly preconceptions about the wonders of Oxford. The are deluding themselves, yet they deny this mere fact if you tell them that they are.
    I know, I know. I should really sit back and let time teach them instead. On the other hand, if nobody with real experience of universities bothered to speak up about these things, then the preconceptions would breed, grow, spread, bloat, take over TSR like The Blob. I can't let that happen!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanw)
    Erm..but isn't it true, that there always postgrad? I mean, it's a fact. The situations may differ between people, but it remains a fact, there IS always postgrad.
    Out of interest did you even read the initial post?

ReputationRep:
    to a degree which is simply not the case at postgraduate level.
    really? which degrees have you done?

the failure rate on my postgrad course is far higher than on the undergraduate equivalent...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by -aeon-)

the failure rate on my postgrad course is far higher than on the undergraduate equivalent...
    Hmm, sorry, but would you mind fixing your quote tags, so it's clear who you are quoting there and in what context? I know it's a bit from Jonesy_LJ's initial post, but only because I actually took the trouble of going through every single post; I don't think everybody will be willing to do that, though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aeon-)

I don't understand your point. Jonesy rightly says that Oxford (or Cambridge) is not necessarily the best place to go for postgrad study, as it is and always has been an undergraduates' university, plus postgrad study depends very much on supervisors, individual departments, resources, etc.

What does this have to do with how many people are failing your postgrad course? Where is the correlation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    If you know how too complete a PhD in a year, tell me how!
    If not, you're looking at a LOT more than 15k to get your funky "Dr" title...shame.
    Surely one would be/is funded for a PhD...?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Thallium)
    Surely one would be/is funded for a PhD...?
    Depends on your subject...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm, sorry, but would you mind fixing your quote tags, so it's clear who you are quoting there and in what context? I know it's a bit from Jonesy_LJ's initial post, but only because I actually took the trouble of going through every single post; I don't think everybody will be willing to do that, though...
    all apologies; i forgot i was doing it manually

(Original post by the_alba)
    I don't understand your point. Jonesy rightly says that Oxford (or Cambridge) is not necessarily the best place to go for postgrad study, as it is and always has been an undergraduates' university, plus postgrad study depends very much on supervisors, individual departments, resources, etc. What does this have to do with how many people are failing your postgrad course? Where is the correlation?
    i agree with the first part of your post. neither Oxford nor Cambridge is necessarily the best; of course assessing a course's individual value or relevance is a difficult endeavour etc. etc.

it just struck me that jonesy appeared to make a fairly large assumption, i.e. that:

(Original post by jonesy)
    The fact of the matter is that, Oxbridge are the best undergraduate universities in the UK, to a degree which is simply not the case at postgraduate level.
    if this was true, imho, we'd see a vast jumping of ships after undergraduation, when new graduates abandoned Oxbridge in favour of [insert uni here]. it also presupposes that Oxbridge are the 'best undergraduate universities in the UK', without taking into account the kind of complexities we've already discussed... and equally, some of the postgraduate courses at Oxbridge are very highly regarded. i then wondered aloud what his personal experience was.

i raised the failure rates issue simply for interest's sake

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bad response because it suggests that not getting into Oxbridge is some sort of magnificent failure, and implies that the unsuccessful applicant might be able to redeem themselves at some later date by going there later.

In reality there are many good places at universities outside of Oxford and Cambridge - university is what you make of it. A good student can do well elsewhere - a much better response is that it really doesn't matter, and you're just as likely to be happy if you end up somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    A PhD is an intensely personal academic journey. Trying to argue that somehow a PhD from a particular institution is better than another is therefore total nonsense. One has to consider what a PhD is, when one does so one realises that it just can't be classified or measured in the same manner as a taught course.

ReputationRep:
    A PhD is an intensely personal academic journey. Trying to argue that somehow a PhD from a particular institution is better than another is therefore total nonsense. One has to consider what a PhD is, when one does so one realises that it just can't be classified or measured in the same manner as a taught course.
    absolutely true. but employers / recruiters don't realise this and they're the people that count if you're looking for a (non academic) job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hungry_hog)
    absolutely true. but employers / recruiters don't realise this and they're the people that count if you're looking for a (non academic) job
    Actually, many do. I have a lot of industrial contacts who have PhDs themselves.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.