Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The government offers a loan of up to £10,000 for postgraduate study.

But the repayment rate is 15%

This seems crazy to me. With other expenses I will have hardly anything left. Or am I wrong? Advice please....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouse81321)
    The government offers a loan of up to £10,000 for postgraduate study.

But the repayment rate is 15%

This seems crazy to me. With other expenses I will have hardly anything left. Or am I wrong? Advice please....
    I can't see 15% mentioned on the government website:
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/repayment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I can't see 15% mentioned on the government website:
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/repayment
    undergraduate repayments (9%) + postgraduate (6%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouse81321)
    undergraduate repayments (9%) + postgraduate (6%)
    You didn't specify that you were including the undergrad loan.

But I think you've slightly misundrstood the way the SF repayment system works. You only repay the total 15% from anything you earn over £21,000. So anything you earn under £21,000 will not be affected and you won't have to make any repayments at all if you earn less.

You should never be left with "hardly anything".

An example: If you earn £30,000 a year, the 15% repayment would be levied on £9000 of that (£30,000 minus £21,000). This results in SF repayments totalling £1350 per year (15% of £9000) from your gross £30,000 wage. Obviously income tax, NI, pension payments etc would result in further deductions, but you wouldn't be left destitute.

As to whether a Masters is worth it, that depends on your financial situation, personal goals and why you want/need a Masters.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.