Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Postgraduate Loan for masters study- worth it?

ReputationRep:
    The government offers a loan of up to £10,000 for postgraduate study.

But the repayment rate is 15%

This seems crazy to me. With other expenses I will have hardly anything left. Or am I wrong? Advice please....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouse81321)
    The government offers a loan of up to £10,000 for postgraduate study.

But the repayment rate is 15%

This seems crazy to me. With other expenses I will have hardly anything left. Or am I wrong? Advice please....
    I can't see 15% mentioned on the government website:
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/repayment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I can't see 15% mentioned on the government website:
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/repayment
    undergraduate repayments (9%) + postgraduate (6%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouse81321)
    undergraduate repayments (9%) + postgraduate (6%)
    You didn't specify that you were including the undergrad loan.

But I think you've slightly misundrstood the way the SF repayment system works. You only repay the total 15% from anything you earn over £21,000. So anything you earn under £21,000 will not be affected and you won't have to make any repayments at all if you earn less.

You should never be left with "hardly anything".

An example: If you earn £30,000 a year, the 15% repayment would be levied on £9000 of that (£30,000 minus £21,000). This results in SF repayments totalling £1350 per year (15% of £9000) from your gross £30,000 wage. Obviously income tax, NI, pension payments etc would result in further deductions, but you wouldn't be left destitute.

As to whether a Masters is worth it, that depends on your financial situation, personal goals and why you want/need a Masters.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.