The Student Room Group

Will i have time to finish my portfolio?

A lot of universities dont state when theyll want the portfolio and im applying to a fine art course for university. How long after the application has been submitted will i have to give the portfolio? and will i have to give it in sooner that a person applying a couple of months later? Any advice, im kind of freaking out because mine is not completed yet and i dont know how much time i have left.
Reply 1
where are you applying to? i just checked my email from last year's admissions cycle; the online portfolio submission deadlines for both gsa and edinburgh were late january, ucl wanted physical portfolios by early february, + goldsmiths wanted online portfolios by mid-february. i imagine other schools' deadlines weren't much different, and they're the same for every applicant regardless of when their ucas came in. when you submit your ucas application, the schools will email you with further instructions and portfolio specifications, which i expect will be similar to last year. no need to freak out! (unless maybe a tiny bit if you're a ruskin applicant).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by pluston
where are you applying to? i just checked my email from last year's admissions cycle; the online portfolio submission deadlines for both gsa and edinburgh were late january, ucl wanted physical portfolios by early february, + goldsmiths wanted online portfolios by mid-february. i imagine other schools' deadlines weren't much different, and they're the same for every applicant regardless of when their ucas came in. when you submit your ucas application, the schools will email you with further instructions and portfolio specifications, which i expect will be similar to last year. no need to freak out! (unless maybe a tiny bit if you're a ruskin applicant).

Thank you. Im applying to UCL, Loughborough, Oxford brookes, Nottingham trent and one other i havent decided yet. Im just stressed out about having to give in my portfolio without it being even half done. Where did you end up going for university and what was your portfolio like, so i can get an idea of how to do it?
Reply 3
Original post by Gabriela123
Thank you. Im applying to UCL, Loughborough, Oxford brookes, Nottingham trent and one other i havent decided yet. Im just stressed out about having to give in my portfolio without it being even half done. Where did you end up going for university and what was your portfolio like, so i can get an idea of how to do it?

i'm a student at the ruskin (or i will be quite shortly) - didn't mention it along with the others because the submission deadline was around november and it's an exceptional case. i don't know that i can be that helpful since when i got my offer i withdrew from the other choices before sending them my portfolio, so i can't say if they'd be as keen. i could message you a link, though. i'd say there's definitely time enough for you, it's not worth stressing just yet !
Reply 4
Original post by pluston
i'm a student at the ruskin (or i will be quite shortly) - didn't mention it along with the others because the submission deadline was around november and it's an exceptional case. i don't know that i can be that helpful since when i got my offer i withdrew from the other choices before sending them my portfolio, so i can't say if they'd be as keen. i could message you a link, though. i'd say there's definitely time enough for you, it's not worth stressing just yet !

Thanks. A link would be helpful. Im only worried because i want to get in so bad to these universities and my portfolio needs to be great. You've calmed me down now. Do you have any suggestions for good universities for art? because i still have to choose and im having trouble picking.
Hi @Gabriela123,

The best thing to do to is to ask each university that you're interested in applying to, because each of us do it slightly differently.

For example, NUA applicants would be required to bring their portfolio to an their interview, which usually takes place in February if you applied by the January deadline. Other universities may ask you to submit a digital portfolio after they have received your application and offer you an interview after that. If you contact the Admissions or Recruitment Teams, they would be happy to help.

We have some further advice on our website: www.nua.ac.uk/study/portfolio/ just in case it might be of help. If you want to ask us anything else, let us know; happy to help!

Best of luck,
Lou
Original post by Gabriela123
A lot of universities dont state when theyll want the portfolio and im applying to a fine art course for university. How long after the application has been submitted will i have to give the portfolio? and will i have to give it in sooner that a person applying a couple of months later? Any advice, im kind of freaking out because mine is not completed yet and i dont know how much time i have left.

Hello! Dont worry, although the portfolio is important it is something that can be done easily. Grab all of the work you did at AS / A Level, especially sketch books, then pick your best work and present it as a main portfolio! I wont write out my advice as I recently made a video but any questions let me know and I wish you the best of luck!! I honestly wouldn't worry, its not as stressful as you think and interviews are pretty relaxed. They are spread out throughout the year, so for example, if you apply in october you might get a late november interview / portfolio slot, but if you were to apply in november you might get a january slot. It all depends when they fit you in but there are several times throughout the year! For me, it was a few weeks until they asked so just get it sorted ASAP and youll be okay! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHg8422pgA xx

Quick Reply

Latest