How much effort should I be putting into my study skills assignment? (Access)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an assignment for study skills. It is ungraded level 3 and worth 3 credits. I'm feeling really confused about how much it matters, I would rather be focusing on my chemistry assignment, but I don't want to fail this assignment.
    Do I need to go into a lot of detail, or no? I feel like I'm wasting time on this assignment, and if it isn't that important then I'd rather focus on getting distinctions in the graded modules.

A proportionate amount of time relative to that available for the marks on offer tic all the other assignments you have.
    How much is 3 credits compared to all available? I would want at least 2 of the 3?
    I dont know the status of your other modules, but they get priority.

ReputationRep:
    in my study skills I never had to do any work outside of the class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    A proportionate amount of time relative to that available for the marks on offer tic all the other assignments you have.
    How much is 3 credits compared to all available? I would want at least 2 of the 3?
    I dont know the status of your other modules, but they get priority.
    3 is the lowest amount of credits, there are 2 other assignments in the study skills module worth 6 and 9 credits. My problem is that I am pouring with ideas of what to write about, and when I get ideas, I get more ideas of more things to write about. I'm currently on the first criteria which basically says i have to state and research areas I want to progress to after the access course, and then find 3 unis im interested in. My problem is basically that im writing too much and am going into too much detail for something that should be simple and straightforward, but I don't want to do less and end up not passing the assignment. Just not sure how much effort to put into each assignment :/ how can I tell how much effort needs to be put in? Does the assignment being worth 3, 6, or 9 credits indicate how much effort should be exerted in any way?

(Original post by A.m.y)
    3 is the lowest amount of credits, there are 2 other assignments in the study skills module worth 6 and 9 credits. My problem is that I am pouring with ideas of what to write about, and when I get ideas, I get more ideas of more things to write about. I'm currently on the first criteria which basically says i have to state and research areas I want to progress to after the access course, and then find 3 unis im interested in. My problem is basically that im writing too much and am going into too much detail for something that should be simple and straightforward, but I don't want to do less and end up not passing the assignment. Just not sure how much effort to put into each assignment :/ how can I tell how much effort needs to be put in? Does the assignment being worth 3, 6, or 9 credits indicate how much effort should be exerted in any way?
    Does it have a word count? Have you asked your tutor?
    Sorry I havent done the access course, but I think id find it pretty straightforward to prioritise my time.

Its clearly less important than the 9 and 6 mark pieces, so could you just do those first? Yes the marks available in common sense terms gives you a rough idea of the proportionate time you spend on things.

Dont get carried away with yourself. Is that the tasl?
    1.State what you wnat to do after the access course

Just basic areas- what it involves, why it interests you, maybe how the course helps you and how you will build on what you have learned? Maybe with a career path of what you wnat to do after uni.

You can get ideas of the career path by looking at

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...s/default.aspx

and

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...with-my-degree

2. ID the unis that you want to go to.

Obviously id the unis by listing down whats important to you like course content, reputation, facilities, location. Use any of the uni site guides like Guardian, Times etc. Write a paragraph on how you selected and then a small paragrpah about each one saying why you chose them?

They wont wnat a life story, just some basic research and your ability to organise the information in a clear and logical format so you answer the question set.

Ask your tutor but all doable in 500/1000 words? its just a matter of detail then. They are trying to teach you how to plan things. Once you have a plan its just the case of a bit of research and it writes itself.

The other bits are more important obviously as they are worth more and graded.

ReputationRep:
    The criteria is actually more specifically: "Research and list areas that you are interested in progressing onto at HE level. (Try to consider three higher education institutions)." My issue is that I'm not sure how much depth to go into for this.

I've never been the most bright person, and am a little (a lot) slow, and new when it comes to this studying thing, so I'm just trying to learn the best way to do things.
    But anyway thank you so much for taking the time to write that out, its helpful and should give me some guidance through the first task.

ReputationRep:
    It may be different for u but my study skills were ungraded units but I was told after my 1st assignment that hows it's written is more important than content (study skills only) obviously all points should be covered and show my interest in the subject. So I always spent loads of time proofreading and amending it but not tons of time writing it. Also as my study skills were pass or fail and u could have a second attempt if needed.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose that makes sense, thanks for this information.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.