Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Worried about going to uni- feel like I don't wanna go

ReputationRep:
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn2020)
    Hey guys, I start going to university tomorrow. But the thing is I feel really upset and depressed about it, I literally felt like crying earlier on. I applied to study law but feel like I don't even want to do that because I don't even want to become a lawyer and that I'll find the course boring. I feel like I'm only doing it to please my parents because it's what they want me to do. I wanted to take a gap year before but I wish now that I did take a gap year to find out what I wanted to actually do and do inductions with different work places to help me decide. I feel really anxious now. I also feel upset about leaving my family.Any help???
    Hey if it makes you feel better, you're definitely not the only one. I've just started a course this year (well i only done the induction last week) and I absolutely hated it from the bottom of my heart. I literally felt so anxious and depressed this whole week. I woke up this morning crying becausei didnt know what to do. But now im Thinking of switching courses and seeing how that goes.
    I think my advice to you is to go and check out your course for a week or two and see how it goes. I know its gonna be hard, it always is at the beginning. But if you really hate it, then maybe look into transferring to a course you might find interesting. Try to meet people fom other courses to get some feedback.

Btw, what uni you going to?

ReputationRep:
    Also, confide in your friends and family because they know you better than anyone else. (If not your family then deffo stick with friends). My friends have been supporting me a lot. They told me the first two months of settling in can be really hard but later, you'll end up loving everything about uni. I think for me personally I'm just really bad at adapting to changes in environment. But for you, maybe you just need to do more research on your course. Sorry if I'm not much help, I'm in a bit of a dilemma with my own uni stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DabThruALevels)
    Also, confide in your friends and family because they know you better than anyone else. (If not your family then deffo stick with friends). My friends have been supporting me a lot. They told me the first two months of settling in can be really hard but later, you'll end up loving everything about uni. I think for me personally I'm just really bad at adapting to changes in environment. But for you, maybe you just need to do more research on your course. Sorry if I'm not much help, I'm in a bit of a dilemma with my own uni stuff!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck -- sure that you will be fine.What you are feeling is perfectly normal. Try to think of it as only a few weeks away between the end of September and the beginning of December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn2020)
    Hey guys, I start going to university tomorrow. But the thing is I feel really upset and depressed about it, I literally felt like crying earlier on. I applied to study law but feel like I don't even want to do that because I don't even want to become a lawyer and that I'll find the course boring. I feel like I'm only doing it to please my parents because it's what they want me to do. I wanted to take a gap year before but I wish now that I did take a gap year to find out what I wanted to actually do and do inductions with different work places to help me decide. I feel really anxious now. I also feel upset about leaving my family.Any help???
    Hello ,

Bottom line is, if this is the way you are feeling, I don't recommend going to university. When going to university everything about it should be your decision, your choice and your gut feelings! You should want to study the course you are studying, want to be at the university you are and be comfortable with where you are - no one should tell you differently. It's the one time in your academic career where you get to make the choice so honestly, if this doesn't sound like you, don't go because you won't enjoy your time there at all and it'll probably burn out quickly!

Your family should support and care for you with whatever your decision you make and should understand why you are doing it. I'd suggest taking the gap year to figure out what you want to do with your future and make a reasoned approach to any decision you make.

Good luck

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.