Why are primark staff so rude?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I go to Primark, the staff never smiles, are very aloof and thankless. How comes?

ReputationRep:
    My guess is that they're paid pretty badly and do not have very good working conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Not passionate about their job (why would they be...) and on fixed pay hence couldn't care less?

ReputationRep:
    would you be happy working at minimum wage in a shop that basically encourages the scroungers of the Earth to shop there lmao

ReputationRep:
    Because they're working in Primark

ReputationRep:
    When I worked there as a temp I really didn't enjoy it as it was very stressful (this was during Christmas so it was very busy) and I did not feel I had been trained well by the managers, so wasn't exactly sure what I was doing.

So they are probably stressed and not enjoying themselves at work, and the pay isn't that great so that probably doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    I walked into Primark like once in my life and i made a mistake even walking in it. 😬
    Id rather shop from H&M or Topshop, so tidy and no greedy people are around!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I buy bits and pieces for the younger grandchildren and haven't had any problems around staff. We have a new store where we live and it's brought much needed employment to the town.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous thing to say! Not everyone can afford to shop in more expensive shops. In fact many young people shop there including a lot of the students in my year.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Primark is a great place to work on their wages and treatment and also of the mess the customers create from the crowds of clothes left piled around.

ReputationRep:
    Overworked, underpaid and likely on zero hour contracts. Yea, I would struggle to smile if I needed to work there to make ends meet.

ReputationRep:
    For the record I've known several people work in Primarks and they all say that, for retail, Primark is a really good employer.

But, their market is cheap stuff. Not customer service. If youre buying a £2 top it hardly matters if they treat you like royalty or a pauper really

ReputationRep:
    they are always having a bad day.wake up in the morning and the first thing they think is: Primark.

ReputationRep:
    Cuz its cheap and cheerful haha

ReputationRep:
    I been to Primark twice. I've bought legit 1 thing from there.
    Primark is so cheap, it's like a trash heap.

ReputationRep:
    Primani FTW!!!

Seriously though, if you want to be treated like royalty then you'll have to pay royal prices.

ReputationRep:
    We get paid over minimum wage.. I'm 20 and on £6.76. I know other places pay more but it's still above minimum wage..

However in answer to your question, first of all there's no comfortable temperature. We have to stand there for minimum 4 hours a day (each shift is four hours then you can do overtime) in either boiling heat or freezing cold.

Then customers literally have no respect. They see us spend an hour, possibly more folding t-shirts and tidying the table only to decide they need the one from the very bottom of the pile.

Also I work the 5-9 shift so we have an hour after the shop shuts to get it all tidy, sometimes we're done by 7pm and we have nothing to do for two hours and sometimes we're completely trashed and struggling by nine.

Overall I love working there and its a fun, friendly atmosphere =')

When ive been in then never had anyone been rude or grumpy with me. Think you are making sweeping generalisations. Just becayse staff are on a low wage doesnt mean the individual will be rude.

ReputationRep:
    If you had to constantly be picking clothes up off the floor that people simply can't be bothered to put back in the place and the state that they originally found them in, I'm pretty sure you'd be filled with some kind of loathing and resentment towards the mouthbreathers that frequent your working environment too.

ReputationRep:
    The Reading store is notorious for people just littering the place with clothes. However, the new store where I live doesn't have this. It's always tidy, the staff are polite and helpful.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.