Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Wanting to proceed on to computer science

ReputationRep:
    Hey, recently I have developed an interest in to computer science and programming and would be interested in taking the course at Uni. The thing is my A-levels do not reflect that or have anything to do with computer science. I study Sociology, Psychology and English Language. I want to know if there is a possible way to study computer science and programming another way such as able to do apprenticeships and stuff like that? Is there a different way to get into that area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superrichkids)
    Hey, recently I have developed an interest in to computer science and programming and would be interested in taking the course at Uni. The thing is my A-levels do not reflect that or have anything to do with computer science. I study Sociology, Psychology and English Language. I want to know if there is a possible way to study computer science and programming another way such as able to do apprenticeships and stuff like that? Is there a different way to get into that area?
    you could do a mooc in it, like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    you could do a mooc in it, like me?
    Will you be able to elaborate a little? Like on the course, what it includes, links to some courses etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that you can't get into a Computer Science course with the A levels you have then just do a foundation year.

The university that I've started at this year - Keele - offers foundation years. These are essentially the same as doing your A levels in that subject, you just need to pass the year. It's also a nice way to get used to university.

At Keele you can also do a dual honours course if you want to, or major in a subject and minor in another one. You can study something like English or Sociology if you wanted to alongside Computer Science. There's lots of options.

They also offer lots of different types of foundation years like for Medicine, Nursing, Natural Sciences, etc too. Other universities offer foundation years like this as well.

Here's some videos on Keele: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqtPIf6Ftv4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-LKA-yWwSM

Here's the foundation year course for Science: https://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationco...oundationyear/
    They'll cater it to be on the thing(s) you want to study.

Computer Science course that you'd progress onto: http://www.keele.ac.uk/ugcourses/computerscience/
    If you click on Codes/Combinations you can see what you can combine it with.

I think that may be the simplest option for you but you can try apprenticeships if you want to. Call up some universities and ask them if they'll take you for year 1 without having done Computer Science or Maths, etc and they may take you. This way you won't have to do a foundation year. It's well worth asking.

Be wary though because some universities will take you because they just want your money and they won't offer you support so look into the subject that you'll be studying there and go to open days and so on and ask the lecturers and current students questions. I didn't do a foundation year but I did lots of research like this when I chose my course.

Remember that lots of people go into Computer Science having never even programmed before, but if you want to do Computer Science I'd recommend spending this year learning about how to program and making your own small projects on things you're interested in making. If you enjoy programming then I'd say go for it, you need to remember though that Computer Science isn't programming but it's a big part of it.

If you want a job as a programmer then this would probably be a good way to go about it.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Will you be able to elaborate a little? Like on the course, what it includes, links to some courses etc. ?
    https://courses.edx.org/courses/cour...1x+3T2016/info

this is the class i am doing now. it is three weeks in (half way through) now, so too late to join in at this point, but i think you should be able to find another, similar?

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of universities who do not stipulate which A levels you need for CS, just the grades. Obviously these will not be prestigious universities. You would find somewhere with grades of at least BBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catinsomehat)
    If you feel that you can't get into a Computer Science course with the A levels you have then just do a foundation year.
    I have been looking at some. If I complete a foundation course at one uni will I have to continue at the same uni in regards to a studying computer science at degree or can I after I have completed it, apply elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Best option in my opinion would be to do a foundation year at a top university. If you pass it, you will automatically join the first year students the year after who effectively had to get A's and A*'s to get there. Just make sure you do a lot of computing/programming in your spare time to get onto the foundation course.

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking at some. If I complete a foundation course at one uni will I have to continue at the same uni in regards to a studying computer science at degree or can I after I have completed it, apply elsewhere?
    You'll generally need to continue at that university, yeah. You might be able to transfer though to another university if you have good grades. Just call up universities and ask them.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.