The Student Room Group

Should I change my subject?

I will be starting my undergraduate Engineering course at Oxford University this October. However, I am not sure whether I wanted to pursue a career in Engineering field as I do not really know what I want to do at the moment.

Here is my question:
1) Is an Engineering master degree from Oxford employable for a general job other than engineering?

2) Should I change to study Maths/Maths and Statics/Economics and Mangement or Politics Philosophy and Economics (PPE)/Computer Science, if university lets me change my course? (any course/degree that is more employable or easy to find a job)

3) What subject from Oxford is the most/more employable or easy to find a job in your opinion?

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.
(Title should be Should I change my subject, not me subject. Sorry for typo.)
(edited 7 years ago)
If you really hate the idea of studying engineering, then yes, you should change. I don't know how long your course is, but I'll assume it's 3-4 years. Do you want to spend 3-4 years doing something you hate?
If you like engineering - more than you would maths or economics - then having a degree in it won't close any doors for you that weren't already closed (and to be completely honest, that's only medicine.) If you're doing mathematical engineering especially, many careers involving maths (economics, statistics, etc.) will still be available. My dad did a Ph.D in aeronautical engineering, and he's a small business owner now - hasn't used anything he learnt in his degree a day in his life. One of his friends did a mathematical engineering degree and is an investment banker; another with the same degree works designing the interiors of Bentleys.
If you've got a degree from Oxford, most employers won't care what you're degree is, because you've already shown you're intelligent and motivated, and you'll have the added advantage of working with more future world leaders than you would if you did a politics degree at, say, Sheffield Hallam.
But again, if you really hate the thought of doing an engineering degree, or would be happier doing maths or PPE, then definitely change, but don't change just because you think it will open/close any doors, because chances are it won't make a particularly huge difference.
Reply 2
Original post by Skiing Turtles
If you really hate the idea of studying engineering, then yes, you should change. I don't know how long your course is, but I'll assume it's 3-4 years. Do you want to spend 3-4 years doing something you hate?
If you like engineering - more than you would maths or economics - then having a degree in it won't close any doors for you that weren't already closed (and to be completely honest, that's only medicine.) If you're doing mathematical engineering especially, many careers involving maths (economics, statistics, etc.) will still be available. My dad did a Ph.D in aeronautical engineering, and he's a small business owner now - hasn't used anything he learnt in his degree a day in his life. One of his friends did a mathematical engineering degree and is an investment banker; another with the same degree works designing the interiors of Bentleys.
If you've got a degree from Oxford, most employers won't care what you're degree is, because you've already shown you're intelligent and motivated, and you'll have the added advantage of working with more future world leaders than you would if you did a politics degree at, say, Sheffield Hallam.
But again, if you really hate the thought of doing an engineering degree, or would be happier doing maths or PPE, then definitely change, but don't change just because you think it will open/close any doors, because chances are it won't make a particularly huge difference.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I enjoy studying Maths, Physics, and Economics equally. I studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics in AS, but I got a B in Economics so my teachers forced me to drop Economics in A2. I am not sure whether I enjoy studying Engineering or not as I haven't started yet and I am worried that it is a degree not easy to find a well-paid job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by OxO.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I enjoy studying Maths, Physics, and Economics equally. I studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics in AS, but I got a B in Economics so my teachers forced me to drop Economics in A2. I am not sure whether I enjoy studying Engineering or not as I haven't started yet and I am worried that it is a degree not easy to find a well-paid job.

If you are a good candidate you will find a well-paid job.

And engineering is a very solid degree! By no means do all Engineering grads aim for a career in engineering.

Also - average Oxford graduate salaries for your indicated course after 40 months:
Engineering : £33k
CompSci : £30k
Maths : £32k
PPE : £35k

All fairly similar...
(edited 7 years ago)
There is no guarantee that you would be able to change course. If your college does have a space on another course then it is up to the tutor if they offer you a place. You would essentially have to interview for the course.

If your main worry is about finding a well paying job then engineering will give you as good a chance as any other degree for jobs that don't require a specific subject qualification. An engineering graduate will be very employable, internships and positions of responsibility within societies will help you get a job more than changing your subject will anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending