Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Nearly finished shadowing placement, should I ask for some kind of reference?

ReputationRep:
    If asked for one at a university interview what would they be looking for? The people working at the dentists wouldn't really spend much time on and and probably just ask me to tell them exactly what to write, so I was wondering what kind of things to put on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartypirate)
    If asked for one at a university interview what would they be looking for? The people working at the dentists wouldn't really spend much time on and and probably just ask me to tell them exactly what to write, so I was wondering what kind of things to put on it?
    No point, doubt it'd come up in your interview they've got more important things to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother. It's a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    But then how will universities know if I actually did work experience somewhere, apart from asking me about it in the interview? Won't they need some kind of proof?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But then how will universities know if I actually did work experience somewhere, apart from asking me about it in the interview? Won't they need some kind of proof?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was never asked for proof of completing work experience - as long as you write about it in your personal statement, describe what you did and what you learnt then that is good enough. You could also ask your referee (usually your teacher) to mention it in the school's reference.

That being said, sometimes it's useful to have a reference from someone you did work experience with if you want to apply for more work experience/ internships/ etc. at uni - so perhaps ask for them to write a short reference in advance/ ask if you can call on them for a reference in the future *

ReputationRep:
    Ok cool thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No - If we needed it, we'd ask for it. As an interviewer, it's obvious when someone hasn't done the experience.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.