Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently considering putting Essex down as one of my choices for Politics but I'm unsure on the area and the general university rep. Would Essex be a respected university in general (especially when applying for postgraduate degrees) and is the area at least tolerable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Fante bae)
    I'm currently considering putting Essex down as one of my choices for Politics but I'm unsure on the area and the general university rep. Would Essex be a respected university in general (especially when applying for postgraduate degrees) and is the area at least tolerable?
    Essex is particularly great for politics. There are some well respected lecturers that teach the course that have quite a wide influence in the politics world.

Colchester itself isn't particularly desirable but the campus itself is really nice and developed so there wouldn't be much need to leave the campus often. Besides, Chelmsford and London are only a short train ride away.

Essex is well respected for politics. It's one of the subjects where we consistently rank highly. On some tables, Essex ranks 30th in the world for Politics (or 5th in the UK).
    http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

If I would you I would take a look at the modules, and maybe do some research on the lecturers to find out some more details.

Essex's reputation as a University is improving. When I first joined it was ranked mid 50's overall but it has recently been ranked in the top 30 universities in the UK (Times 2017). The majority of people who do go to Essex have a great time, as there is almost a family feel to it. I would recommend going to an open day to find out more.

In terms of postgraduate, there really isn't much emphasis on the institution you did your undergraduate at. As long as you obtain a good grade and maybe get some experience, that should be enough. I'm currently undertaking my Masters at University of Cambridge, so yes it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Fante bae)
    Hi there! I'm a current politics student at Essex, I'm on my year abroad in the US at the moment.

I've really enjoyed my time at Essex so far. The course is really interesting and the first year modules give you a great grounding in politics. I still use some of my first year books today! Every single lecturer I have come across has been really knowledgeable about their subject areas and they're always willing to help if you're unsure of anything. Our Department of Government has a really great reputation, it was ranked first in the country for research in the 2014 REF and it has a 96% student satisfaction rate.

Colchester itself is quite a small town but it does have your typical high street shops and some nice independent stores and cafes. I came to Essex from living in a big city and it has everything I need, just on a smaller scale.

To echo what Saliency said, there really is a family feel to Essex between both the students and staff. It really is a brilliant place to spend three years!

Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.