Why do people have so much trouble with languages?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My question is this exact question.

Why is it that people seem to have so much trouble with languages?

I'm not saying I'm particularly amazing at languages (French GCSE- A*, Latin GCSE- C). I'm just intrigued as to why people find languages much more difficult than other subjects, such as maths.

Of course, I know that everyone's brains work differently and everything, but what is it about languages in particular that people find 'difficult' about them, thus creating such a low uptake in British education?

ReputationRep:
    I find Maths harder than Languages

ReputationRep:
    I think it's hard because you're literally trying to go against a language you've learnt and practiced and developed every day since a baby in like a year or two from a textbook.
    I'm starting french soon, if anyone has any tips for learning a language!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think environment matters a great deal. If you have a set learning environment in which only the target language is spoken it's much easier. Sadly most schools can't really provide this, meaning that learners get put off in early life.

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak for GCSE French, but it is so easy when you have Google translate at your fingertips.

ReputationRep:
    Learning a language from a textbook and understanding a language spoken constantly around you are two very different matters. Trust me, I'm a trilingual (languages being my natives) who finds French really difficult at times because a textbook does jackshit. And my teacher is jackshit.

I can kiss my A* goodbye. Never taking languages for A levels after GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Combination of poor teaching methods at school + raised monolingual + lack of interest + poor memory = struggle.

Of course these can all be overcome, but if there's simply a lack of interest it's never going to happen to a decent standard.

ReputationRep:
    the way that it's taught is a complete pisstake. if we'd been given more than just a textbook in my gcse french class, more people would have passed... people love to over-complicate languages and try and make them seem as boring as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airportsh8me)
    Learning a language from a textbook and understanding a language spoken constantly around you are two very different matters. Trust me, I'm a trilingual (languages being my natives) who finds French really difficult at times because a textbook does jackshit. And my teacher is jackshit.

I can kiss my A* goodbye. Never taking languages for A levels after GCSE
    taking languages at a level is completely different to gcse. at a level your lessons are mainly taught in the language and you have to speak it. you also use authentic texts/speech instead of the crap out the textbook

ReputationRep:
    The teaching at school only taught you how to pass the exam.
    Hard to motivate to learn a language when you cannot be surrounded by it every day
    No patterns or method like maths
    Grammar is hard

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team
Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.