Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any UK unis (preferably one in England) that offer time abroad to study within their medicine undergraduate course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maninblack00)
    Are there any UK unis (preferably one in England) that offer time abroad to study within their medicine undergraduate course?

Most medical schools if not all offer electives which you can do in a different country. Not started medicine yet so maybe somebody else can tell you more on this.

ReputationRep:
    All med schools will have an elective period, which will be either in your penultimate or final year. This is a period where you can do a placement in anything you want almost anywhere in the world. There are some important differences between med schools though: length can vary (I'm putting 6-11 weeks as the range but don't know that for sure), the timing can vary (some have it immediately before your final exams so you just spend your time revising, others have it after your final exams so you... don't ) and the requirements whilst out there can vary e.g. you might be required to complete a project or similar.

I don't believe there is any UK uni that offers a longer period abroad.

My med school (Oxford) did have additional opportunities to go abroad as part of special study modules or as part of some of your 5th year placements in paeds or obs and gynae. These were shorter and had more requirements than the elective though.

What are you interested in doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    All med schools will have an elective period, which will be either in your penultimate or final year. This is a period where you can do a placement in anything you want almost anywhere in the world. There are some important differences between med schools though: length can vary (I'm putting 6-11 weeks as the range but don't know that for sure), the timing can vary (some have it immediately before your final exams so you just spend your time revising, others have it after your final exams so you... don't ) and the requirements whilst out there can vary e.g. you might be required to complete a project or similar.

I don't believe there is any UK uni that offers a longer period abroad.

My med school (Oxford) did have additional opportunities to go abroad as part of special study modules or as part of some of your 5th year placements in paeds or obs and gynae. These were shorter and had more requirements than the elective though.

What are you interested in doing?
    Not sure yet, I just would love the chance to study abroad for a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.