Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with M1 question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At time t = 0, two balls A and B are projected vertically upwards. The ball A is projected vertically upwards with speed 2m/s from a point 50m above the horizontal ground. The ball B is projected vertically upwards from the ground with speed 20m/s. At time t = T seconds, the two balls are at the same vertical height, h metres, above the ground. The balls are modelled as particles moving freely under gravity.

I've got to the point where I have two equations:

Ball A -
    h-50=2T+1/2(-9.8)t2

Ball B -
    h=20T+1/2(-9.8)t2

What do I have to do now to solve h and T?

ReputationRep:
    Any help will be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ℓove)
    At time t = 0, two balls A and B are projected vertically upwards. The ball A is projected vertically upwards with speed 2m/s from a point 50m above the horizontal ground. The ball B is projected vertically upwards from the ground with speed 20m/s. At time t = T seconds, the two balls are at the same vertical height, h metres, above the ground. The balls are modelled as particles moving freely under gravity.

I've got to the point where I have two equations:

Ball A -
    h-50=2T+1/2(-9.8)t2

Ball B -
    h=20T+1/2(-9.8)t2

What do I have to do now to solve h and T?
    This is simply simultaneous equations, and so, assuming your equations are correct, we can subtract Ball A from Ball B, giving:

h-(h-50)=20T+1/2(-9.8)T2 -(2T+ 1/2(-9.8)T2)

50=18T

T=50/18

Then we can solve

h=20*T+1/2(-9.8)T2 plugging in our T value

Please note, I havent checked that your equations are correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematigeek)
    This is simply simultaneous equations, and so, assuming your equations are correct, we can subtract Ball A from Ball B, giving:

h-(h-50)=20T+1/2(-9.8)T2 -(2T+ 1/2(-9.8)T2)

50=18T

T=50/18

Then we can solve

h=20*T+1/2(-9.8)T2 plugging in our T value

Please note, I havent checked that your equations are correct.
    Thanks!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.