Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chloroethanol + Benzene --> ??? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is the product of this reaction, I know what it would look like (an OH added to the ethyl group) but what would it be called?

ReputationRep:
    Can you draw the product?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  benzene derivative.png
Views: 18
Size:  2.3 KB

(Original post by alow)
    Can you draw the product?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
Views: 18
Size:  2.3 KB
    Not quite. Count your carbons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Not quite. Count your carbons.
    Oh yeah, my mistake
    Spoiler:
    Show
Views: 20
Size:  2.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, my mistake
    Spoiler:
    Show
Views: 20
Size:  2.4 KB
    That looks like the right product. Did your procedure state that 2-chloroethanol was the starting material? (although I would think 1-chloroethanol is unstable)

To name it, you have to remember that the alcohol group will take priority, so the name will end in -ol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    That looks like the right product. Did your procedure state that 2-chloroethanol was the starting material? (although I would think 1-chloroethanol is unstable)

To name it, you have to remember that the alcohol group will take priority, so the name will end in -ol.
    Yeah, it's 2-chloroethanol. I would guess it would be phenyl ethanol but I just want confirmation that it would be 2-phenyl ethanol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's 2-chloroethanol. I would guess it would be phenyl ethanol but I just want confirmation that it would be 2-phenyl ethanol.
    2-phenyl ethanol is the right name. It's because if you don't specify the carbon the phenyl is attached to the name is ambiguous, which defeats the point of systematic names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    2-phenyl ethanol is the right name. It's because if you don't specify the carbon the phenyl is attached to the name is ambiguous, which defeats the point of systematic names.
    Sorry last minute question, it isn't phenyl ethan-2-ol due to OH being the functional group, right?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry last minute question, it isn't phenyl ethan-2-ol due to OH being the functional group, right?
    The -OH group has a higher priority, so the carbon attached to it is automatically labelled 1. Therefore the phenyl is on carbon number 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    The -OH group has a higher priority, so the carbon attached to it is automatically labelled 1. Therefore the phenyl is on carbon number 2.
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.