The Student Room Group

Tips on how to be more focus (the studying thing not photography thing)

I know it's only September but I'm really getting worried about how hard I find it to focus and do work.

I've tried a lot of things and mostly failed on them. I've tried turning off my phone and not access internet but then I realised how I usually look up stuff online. I've tried using timetables but it was really hard to maintain because, without a step-by-step plan, I spent more time figuring out what to study than actually studying (turns out putting organic chemistry as topic is pretty difficult because that is a huge topic itself). I went to the library and, because I usually go to the library for leisure, I got too distracted by the novels and books. I even tried sitting by the dictionaries and I spent like 30 minutes reading them.

I've tried a lot and am still continuing trying stuff to get myself focused. I kinda know how to revise and I've been getting some tips from some of my classmates but I have a really short attention span so I get easily distracted. (too illustrate this, it took me like 4 days to watch a 30-minute episode of a show I was really into)

I'm even considering starting a blog thing because I've seen how many students here actually got or at least got close to the grade they were aiming for and maybe, if I do the same, it might work for me as well. Who knows, maybe I start to see this as some sort of peer pressure thing that will help motivate me. What do you think?

tl;dr:

I find it hard to focus, do you guys have any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by W. A. Mozart
- Remove as many distractions as possible. Try and find alternatives for using the internet (i.e. textbooks).
- Study in short, fixed periods. An example is 45 minutes of study, 15 minute break, repeat.
- Plan the exact topics you're going to study the night before, that way there is no ambiguity over what you need to get done.
- Work somewhere quiet and clear of clutter.
- Alternate your study methods, you won't get bored as easily then.

Hope these help.

Thanks, do you have an advice on how to do the third one? I've tried being more specific but it either ends with it being too specific or too vague. Do you recommend using the specification codes to revise?
Reply 2
Original post by Firenze26
I know it's only September but I'm really getting worried about how hard I find it to focus and do work.

I've tried a lot of things and mostly failed on them. I've tried turning off my phone and not access internet but then I realised how I usually look up stuff online. I've tried using timetables but it was really hard to maintain because, without a step-by-step plan, I spent more time figuring out what to study than actually studying (turns out putting organic chemistry as topic is pretty difficult because that is a huge topic itself). I went to the library and, because I usually go to the library for leisure, I got too distracted by the novels and books. I even tried sitting by the dictionaries and I spent like 30 minutes reading them.

I've tried a lot and am still continuing trying stuff to get myself focused. I kinda know how to revise and I've been getting some tips from some of my classmates but I have a really short attention span so I get easily distracted. (too illustrate this, it took me like 4 days to watch a 30-minute episode of a show I was really into)

I'm even considering starting a blog thing because I've seen how many students here actually got or at least got close to the grade they were aiming for and maybe, if I do the same, it might work for me as well. Who knows, maybe I start to see this as some sort of peer pressure thing that will help motivate me. What do you think?

tl;dr:

I find it hard to focus, do you guys have any advice?

The hardest part of revising is often getting started. A way to make this easier could be to allow yourself to choose to revise whatever you like ie what you would enjoy revising the most. Once you've got started (even on an easy enjoyable topic) it's then easier to move on to harder things.

Also turn off phone notifications (phone off is often not necessary). Obviously don't have facebook open on your laptop etc. Maybe try setting your browser homepage to say bbc.co.uk/bitesize or studywise.co.uk/a-level-revision so that the first thing you see when heading for the internet is a revision page.

Starting a blog would probably be a waste of time if you're a procrastinator.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by W. A. Mozart
I'd recommend setting yourself a target such as 'Study pages 27-35 from the textbook and complete the summary questions', that way you end up only studying what you need to.

Oh, okay, I'll try that this week. Thanks 😄

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Alfoxd
The hardest part of revising is often getting started. A way to make this easier could be to allow yourself to choose to revise whatever you like ie what you would enjoy revising the most. Once you've got started (even on an easy enjoyable topic) it's then easier to move on to harder things.

Also turn off phone notifications (phone off is often not necessary). Obviously don't have facebook open on your laptop etc. Maybe try setting your browser homepage to say bbc.co.uk/bitesize or studywise.co.uk/a-level-revision so that the first thing you see when heading for the internet is a revision page.

Starting a blog would probably be a waste of time if you're a procrastinator.

Good luck!

Ooh, that's interesting. I've never thought of that. I've always been recommended to start from the start or go over the hardest topics.

Thanks

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest