Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Insomnia/mental health and college allocation?

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I've been to the open day at Durham today, and though I love the campus, course and uni as a whole, I do have an issue regarding accommodation and I was wondering if anyone could help me out as to what I can do.
    So I'm currently doing CBT for an anxiety/OCD related disorder that has major impact on my sleep and a pretty significant impact on my mood and general mental health. As I understand it, most of the colleges require you share a room for at least a term - however I really feel this would be difficult for me. I was just wondering if there was any way of putting me in for a priority place in Josephine Butler college, which I know is the one of the most sort after colleges but only has single rooms - or at least request I wouldn't have to share a room at any point? I don't really want to be unfair, but I honestly don't think I'd be able to cope sharing - especially given I struggle sleeping anyway. Also wondering whether there's counseling and additional help available when I get there as I'm not planned to be finished therapy by the time I go to uni.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I am sure if you were able to get a note from a professional, whether it be your therapist or a doctor, and explained the situation they would be able to sort something out

ReputationRep:
    They can't force you to share a room anymore so you shouldn't have too much trouble changing. I would contact disability services or state you have a disability to your accommodation people at university.Most unis have really good counselling and a lot of additional help, perhaps contact your welfare officer or disability services team.
    You'll need written evidence from a GP or any other healthcare professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dillymyra)
    I've been to the open day at Durham today, and though I love the campus, course and uni as a whole, I do have an issue regarding accommodation and I was wondering if anyone could help me out as to what I can do.
    So I'm currently doing CBT for an anxiety/OCD related disorder that has major impact on my sleep and a pretty significant impact on my mood and general mental health. As I understand it, most of the colleges require you share a room for at least a term - however I really feel this would be difficult for me. I was just wondering if there was any way of putting me in for a priority place in Josephine Butler college, which I know is the one of the most sort after colleges but only has single rooms - or at least request I wouldn't have to share a room at any point? I don't really want to be unfair, but I honestly don't think I'd be able to cope sharing - especially given I struggle sleeping anyway. Also wondering whether there's counseling and additional help available when I get there as I'm not planned to be finished therapy by the time I go to uni.
    Thank you!
    Disability support will be more than happy to discuss additional help and support with you and I certainly had detailed conversations with them before I had even applied. With 'evidence' from a GP etc... they should help you with your accommodation needs. Van Mildert and Josephine Butler both offer all single rooms.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.