Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been to the open day at Durham today, and though I love the campus, course and uni as a whole, I do have an issue regarding accommodation and I was wondering if anyone could help me out as to what I can do.
    So I'm currently doing CBT for an anxiety/OCD related disorder that has major impact on my sleep and a pretty significant impact on my mood and general mental health. As I understand it, most of the colleges require you share a room for at least a term - however I really feel this would be difficult for me. I was just wondering if there was any way of putting me in for a priority place in Josephine Butler college, which I know is the one of the most sort after colleges but only has single rooms - or at least request I wouldn't have to share a room at any point? I don't really want to be unfair, but I honestly don't think I'd be able to cope sharing - especially given I struggle sleeping anyway. Also wondering whether there's counseling and additional help available when I get there as I'm not planned to be finished therapy by the time I go to uni.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I am sure if you were able to get a note from a professional, whether it be your therapist or a doctor, and explained the situation they would be able to sort something out

ReputationRep:
    They can't force you to share a room anymore so you shouldn't have too much trouble changing. I would contact disability services or state you have a disability to your accommodation people at university.Most unis have really good counselling and a lot of additional help, perhaps contact your welfare officer or disability services team.
    You'll need written evidence from a GP or any other healthcare professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dillymyra)
    I've been to the open day at Durham today, and though I love the campus, course and uni as a whole, I do have an issue regarding accommodation and I was wondering if anyone could help me out as to what I can do.
    So I'm currently doing CBT for an anxiety/OCD related disorder that has major impact on my sleep and a pretty significant impact on my mood and general mental health. As I understand it, most of the colleges require you share a room for at least a term - however I really feel this would be difficult for me. I was just wondering if there was any way of putting me in for a priority place in Josephine Butler college, which I know is the one of the most sort after colleges but only has single rooms - or at least request I wouldn't have to share a room at any point? I don't really want to be unfair, but I honestly don't think I'd be able to cope sharing - especially given I struggle sleeping anyway. Also wondering whether there's counseling and additional help available when I get there as I'm not planned to be finished therapy by the time I go to uni.
    Thank you!
    Disability support will be more than happy to discuss additional help and support with you and I certainly had detailed conversations with them before I had even applied. With 'evidence' from a GP etc... they should help you with your accommodation needs. Van Mildert and Josephine Butler both offer all single rooms.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.