Age discrimination? Please help ! Advice needed

    • Thread Starter

    I am currently studying at university and am very proud of my mum who is 61 and returning this year also to study a Bsc! After being made redundant and suffering from deep depression she has picked herself up and gone to university and is a new person altogether HOWEVER. student finance will only give £3300 A YEAR to live off and her government benefits have been stopped so she cannot afford to live. Basically student finance have stated that people over 60 are not eligible for the full amount. My mum is going to university to better herself so she can get a better job and in her later years do something with her life instead of sitting around waiting for retirement. Can someone please advise me what financial aid is available out there for over 60's? I'm trying to help her as much as i can but as a student myself working part time there is only so much i can do. And after so many years of seeing my mum is such deep depression then to see her exuberant full of life and engaged, only to loose it all I cant take it and I don't think her mental health can either.

    I honestly don't know what advice I could give but can I just say that's absolutely incredible that your mum is at uni. She's a huge inspiration. honestly it's so rubbish that people have to pay SO MUCH for an education

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    I'm really sorry but that's a long-established rule of Student Finance. It's based on the belief that people of that age are nearing retirement and are highly unlikely to repay a significant amount of money loaned to them.

    Being 52 myself, I'm very sympathetic, especially given your Mum's personal problems. Unfortunately that's how the state student funding system works. It's a huge shame that nobody made her aware of it whilst she was preparing to apply to uni.

    I don't believe there is any other source of funding she can access. As she as found, most benefits cut off when you become a full-time student. Can her uni advise? I would suggest that she starts with her Student Union. Would going part-time be an opton? It would give her the opportunity to work and earn whilst she studies.

    Many universities have a hardship fund, which is her likeliest source of support. She could also try searching online for charitable scholarships awarded to women and/or older students.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.