The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Oxford with my predicted grades?

Hi, I want to apply for PPE and I achieved AAB (Maths, Philosophy and Chemistry respectively) at AS, but my predictions are AAA as my teachers are reluctant to predict me A*s.
I realise this is the bare minimum grades to apply with, is it still worth me applying to Oxford or any uni in a similar tier in that case (Warwick, LSE...etc..).
Reply 1
Bump
A lot of schools wont predict A* for many reasons and Oxford admissions will understand that.
I would say your gcse results (or equivalent) and the TSA are going to be more important markers to begin with.
Reply 3
Hey,
I'm literally in the exact same boat- predicted AAAAA and an A* in EPQ and i'm super disappointed, but my school are point blank refusing to predict A*'s.

I'd say don't bother applying to uni's where you don't meet the minimum predictions as they are extremely competitive and will prioritise applicants who do meet minimum predictions.

If you are desperate to go for these uni's, consider a gap year? then you can apply when you've actually got your grades?

Still apply to Oxford and just concentrate on smashing your TSA. What are your GCSE's like as these are hugely important at Oxford?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sammelisa
Hey,
I'm literally in the exact same boat- predicted AAAAA and an A* in EPQ and i'm super disappointed, but my school are point blank refusing to predict A*'s.

I'd say don't bother applying to uni's where you don't meet the minimum predictions as they are extremely competitive and will prioritise applicants who do meet minimum predictions.

If you are desperate to go for these uni's, consider a gap year? then you can apply when you've actually got your grades?

Still apply to Oxford and just concentrate on smashing your TSA. What are your GCSE's like as these are hugely important at Oxford?

Hi, that's crazy how you've been predicted straight As but not a single A*. You still have impressive grades ngl!

I might just apply anyway in case I get an offer from the top unis, and if not then I haven't really lost out on much as I'm open to the idea of taking a gap year.

My GCSEs are around average for an Oxford applicant I'd assume (6A*, 4A, 3B). But yes I will focus on the TSA, are you also looking to apply for PPE?
Hi again, yeah I know, it's crazy and super frustrating!

Yes, I'm also applying for PPE and I'll be going for Oxford, Bristol (politics and econ), York, Exeter and Manchester. I did really want to apply for Durham, but after emailing admissions I was told not to even bother if I didn't meet the minimum requirements.

You've got a strong set of GCSE results and a pretty strong chance as long as you do well in the TSA- best of luck!
Reply 7
Hi again, yeah I know, it's crazy and super frustrating!

Yes, I'm also applying for PPE and I'll be going for Oxford, Bristol (politics and econ), York, Exeter and Manchester. I did really want to apply for Durham, but after emailing admissions I was told not to even bother if I didn't meet the minimum requirements.

You've got a strong set of GCSE results and a pretty strong chance as long as you do well in the TSA- best of luck!

Oh no, Durham really won't accept anyone unless they have been predicted A*AA+? That's kinda unfair but it is competitive I guess. Would Warwick or LSE do the same thing?

Good luck to you too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Warwick we're very ambiguous when I contacted them, they said it really depends on the individual applicant- it's rare, but they wouldn't say no.

LSE on the other hand said no, they want an A* in maths and it's a 'compulsory aspect of the application'
Reply 9
Warwick we're very ambiguous when I contacted them, they said it really depends on the individual applicant- it's rare, but they wouldn't say no.

LSE on the other hand said no, they want an A* in maths and it's a 'compulsory aspect of the application'

Oh right fair enough, thanks for the info! I guess gap year it is for me then :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending