Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go to aberdeen next fall, should i choose catered/self catered/what's more expensive/which has better accommodations? If i choose catered, what type of selection will I have and does that mean i will have no kitchen type facilities at all?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying for next year too! Have you look at the website because it has photos and prices for every option? I went to visit the uni last month and we were able to see inside a flat in Crombie Hall. It was nice and I wouldn't mind living there. It is self catered and the kitchen looked good. Personally, I am going to choose self catered because I can cook, and I have heard some dining room horror stories (not from Aberdeen but UK unis in general). Even if you choose self catered there are loads of dining options on campus you can choose from and in town as well obviously! Just in case you were wondering, the Hillhead Campus is about 15 mins walk away from the main campus! Hopefully this will help and if you have any other questions I can try my best to answer them!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! That was actually very helpful. I'm an American applicant and so it's difficult to go visit and see these things for myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madogg)
    I'm hoping to go to aberdeen next fall, should i choose catered/self catered/what's more expensive/which has better accommodations? If i choose catered, what type of selection will I have and does that mean i will have no kitchen type facilities at all?
    Your choices are all set out here.

Catered means you get breakfast & dinner (there will be some limited kitchen facilities such as microwave/kettle/toaster).Self-catering means you are on your own for all meals. Catered will obviously be more expensive, b/c of the included food. Which would be better depends on you: do you want to have some food prepared, or would you rather be in charge of making all your own field (including getting the groceries)?

Not knowing anything about you there's no way to give good advice, but in general, I would suggest going for the accommodation closest to the center of campus. I would also go for catered for the first year, while you are finding your feet. Second year you will know more about the options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDude)
    Your choices are all set out here.

Catered means you get breakfast & dinner (there will be some limited kitchen facilities such as microwave/kettle/toaster).Self-catering means you are on your own for all meals. Catered will obviously be more expensive, b/c of the included food. Which would be better depends on you: do you want to have some food prepared, or would you rather be in charge of making all your own field (including getting the groceries)?

Not knowing anything about you there's no way to give good advice, but in general, I would suggest going for the accommodation closest to the center of campus. I would also go for catered for the first year, while you are finding your feet. Second year you will know more about the options.
    Thanks! that's pretty helpful actually. I am a fairly good cook and no stranger to buying my own groceries, so right now the cheaper, self catered option is looking best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.