Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my job experience relevant to Accounting? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for graduate schemes/jobs now as I am in the third year of my BA Accounting degree and I really need to perfect my CV. I am having difficulty with the work experience section because I feel like none of mine is relevant. I had a job in retail for 3 years where I performed basic tasks like selling and advising customers, but I also did a little with money like cashing up, banking the takings, creating VAT Sales sheets, invoice handling and stock management. I don't know whether to make a point of these tasks as I think they were quite simple, especially compared to the tasks involved with accounting jobs. Currently I also make and sell things like knitwear and paper crafts online, I've been doing this for a few months now. I don't know whether this is relevant either because the real skill there is making the items but that's not relevant to accounting. I've been told it could be considered a business which would make me the owner but I don't feel like it is a business, especially because it's only been a few months. I don't sell much and it involves very little in terms of finance as I keep very simple records. It's not like I am managing a business or making business decisions, I just sell stuff on Etsy. I would really appreciate some help here, I need to apply really soon for the best jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you must make your every competency relevant to the job, no matter how irrelevant it sounds. Just by reading your description I've picked up the following things:

1. Accounting knowledge (from your degree)
    2. Steadfastness (retail job for 3 years)
    3. Interpersonal, oral communication, sales (advising and selling to customers)
    4. Money management (cash handling, VAT, stock)
    5. Drive and I.T skills (starting on Etsy selling products)
    6. Creativity/Innovation (developing your own products)
    7. Include stuff from University (meeting deadlines, group work, presentations)

Remember, not all employers expect you to be 100% competent, as long as you can demonstrate you have the skills and knowledge, you have a shot at succeeding.Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, your response is very helpful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.