Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hi TSR, I'm going to apply for 2017 entry and I'm wondering if I should stay at home due to the cuts the government is introducing regarding the grants. I live in East London (havering borough) and I'm set on studying Pharmacy at Reading (others are Kingston,. My other choices are all far away (at least 30+ miles ) away from where I live, and I really cannot see myself driving that many miles everyday, and many people say you'll be the odd one out because everyone has made friends and its much harder to just fit in. Personally I want to GO ASAP I WANNA LEAVE HOME WITHOUT ANY HESTITATION, but my parents feel id be better off just commuting and staying home.
    Honestly when I think about it I don't know how I will pay 5-6k a year for rent unless I get a job in the location of the uni, but apparently that's hard too as theres another thousand or so doing the same thing.
    Anyway the changes to the grants is this,

    "Tuition fee loan

    This part of the loan is designed to cover your fee costs. You can borrow up to £9,000 a year (or however much your fees are).

    Maintenance loan

    This part is designed to cover the cost of accommodation and living costs. You’ll start repaying the maintenance loans once you're earning more than £21,000 per year a la tuition fee loan repayments. "

    How much you’ll receive will depend on your household income. If your annual household income is £25,000 or less, you can receive the maximum amount of £8,200 (if you’re studying in London, this increases to £10,702). How much you’re eligible for decreases as your annual household income increases. The maintenance loan replaces previous grants which were available. You can learn more about these on the Ucas site.

    Sixty-five percent of the loan is guaranteed which means you’ll receive this no matter what. The other 35% will depend on your family's household income. The good news is that the amount you can get has increased since previous years.

    So from this point, students can apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance fee loan (both repayable) only. You’ll apply for both student loans in one go, via the Student Finance England website. "

    I'm not from a rich background and I'm not relying on my parents, would the maintenance fee loan be able to cover the rent? Should I take a leap of faith and not miss out on uni life? Or would I be better off just commuting (-_-) and saving money.

    So you would have to take on part time work to pay off some kind of rent for the duration of your course, how much of your time would that eat into? What are you going to gain from taking halls of residence other than shorter/non-existent commuting time? Uni life is overrated, you'll have to unnecessarily put up with the behaviour of other students that may not have the motivation or desire to study because they're too busy "enjoying university life". Drinker degrees are worth bugger all.

    God student university life is hugely overrated.

    But the independence is nice

    If you don't want to struggle financially stay at home *
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.