The Student Room Group

Help!!!!

Helppppppp meeeeeeee

I have homework for ICT and I don't know how to do it.

It says to 'Answer the following questions in the context of a small company that writes online user manuals for different application software.

The manuals contain text, graphics and sound. Describe the advantages of each type of representation method and give an example of its use in the manual.'

Then it says

'Text......
Example'

I honestly don't know what to do, someone please help me thank you
All it means that imagine you are a company with an application and you need to write a manual, then imagine how you are going to get across instructions to explain the software, what it is and how to use it.

When would it be most suitable to use text i.e written words to relay information.
Probably detailed information, such as technical specs or just general instructions.

When would a picture or video be more useful?
Maybe when you wanted to use screenshots to show the user what it looks like at each stage of using the app? Think youtuve video showing you how to do something. This might be easier to follow and is less reliant on language, so graphics coul explain things without worrying about the language barrier, which could save money of having to have instrcutions in each different language.

When would sound be useful? Maybe as an alternative to text so someone can listen to the instructions, this might be an advantage if you didnt like reading or if the application had sound as part of its function (then you could know what sounds you are listening for) or if a user was blind/ had visual impairment.

Go and look at some online manuals and see how they use each method togive instructions. Was it best done by text, graphics or sound?

Quick Reply

Latest