Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I want to move on

ReputationRep:
    I met a girl a couple of weeks ago and we get along really well. We were just friends but then it seemed like she was into me and I was happy to get to know her more.. but I found out that she has a boyfriend, and I don't want to even try to break them up or anything like that, he seems like a nice guy and its not really fair to go after someone in a relationship, is it? Just confused as to how I could have thought she was into me, maybe I just imagined it. Still want to be friends as we get on really well and she's a very interesting person. Just want some advice on how to move on so i don't lose the freindship too? Sorry this is worded really badly but I'm overtired and just wanted some advice. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just act normal, done.

ReputationRep:
    Deep down, you and I both know that you're not after a friendship with this girl. What will happen is that you'll become better friends and you'll end up getting very jealous that she's giving all her attention to her boyfriend. From experience, it just never works out, it's very hard to stay friends with someone you like, especially if she has a boyfriend. I really don't think the friendship is worth it at this stage, unless you can lose your feelings for her soon. If you really want to be friends and I don't recommend it, keep your distance, but don't get too close.

ReputationRep:
    What signals did she give off to suggest she might like you?

I think UWS put it very well, if you try to remain friends having developed feelings for her it will only become toxic down the line. If I were you I'd either fold and walk away or put all your cards on the table, tell her how you feel and depending on her reaction go from there.

If you do want to move on and forget about her, I'd advise removing her from all social media, and go a month without any contact. You'll soon find interest in someone else and this will all be a distant memory.

Hope this helps, otherwise I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life... you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adollop)
    What signals did she give off to suggest she might like you?

I think UWS put it very well, if you try to remain friends having developed feelings for her it will only become toxic down the line. If I were you I'd either fold and walk away or put all your cards on the table, tell her how you feel and depending on her reaction go from there.

If you do want to move on and forget about her, I'd advise removing her from all social media, and go a month without any contact. You'll soon find interest in someone else and this will all be a distant memory.

Hope this helps, otherwise I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life... you're welcome
    thanks for all the replies, didn't get a notification
    okay, I see your point. I think I'd rather be honest and put all the cards on the table, as you said. I think she might know anyway. We see each other often around college and are in each other's classes, I'd rather be avoiding her because I was rejected rather than not giving her a clear reason. Thank you

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.